Talk

Advanced search

Is this mince safe to use?

(6 Posts)
CobaltRose Thu 29-Mar-18 15:25:41

Hi everyone.

I bought this mince a couple of days ago. It had a use by date of the 31st so theoretically should be okay, but I'm not too sure about the colour. There's a slight ding on the packaging but it's only on the paper, it doesn't penetrate the plastic. I was planing to cook with it tonight anyway but the colour concerns me slighty!

I don't want to take any risks as I'm currently pregnant!

Thanks! smile

OP’s posts: |
NewNameADayKeepsSpiesAway Thu 29-Mar-18 15:48:57

Beef mince does sometimes have a pale colour and is fine - I would open the pack and sniff to check. If it smells like usual then I’d not worry about the colour and eat

OnTopOfSpaghetti Thu 29-Mar-18 16:18:56

Mince that has gone off has a distinctive vinegary smell.

1frenchfoodie Fri 30-Mar-18 14:23:15

It should be fine, beef loses its red colour and goes a bit grey on contact with air. They usually put more highly oxygenated air in meat packs to keep the colour but it is really just for aesthetic reason - as long as the pack is intact and in date there should be no problem.

cheapochips Fri 30-Mar-18 14:35:03

yes, smell it. You'll know when you open the pack. Mince doesn't really have much of a smell - well not from a distance anyway.

1frenchfoodie Fri 30-Mar-18 15:29:05

Sorry my bad above, it is carbonmonoxide they put into packs - but advice still stands, don't go on colour alone. It should be fine as it is in date but do smell it - and cook right through (though sure you'd do that anyway!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »