Talk

Advanced search

Your favourite curry recipes for a complete novice

(11 Posts)
drivinmecrazy Sun 25-Mar-18 15:15:49

I'm a complete novice when it comes to cooking Indian food but would love to give it a good attempt.
What are your favourite curry recipes?
I'm completely open to meat, fish or vegetable dishes.
I've been perusing the interweb but am lost in a sea of recipes with no idea where to start.
I'm particularly looking for recipes made completely from scratch, time isn't an issue.

OP’s posts: |
Cornishblues Sun 25-Mar-18 17:03:15

This is my current go-to: you can have it as soup or with rice, you can add veg and a can of beans. www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/25/lentil-recipes-curried-coconut-soup-aubergine-stew-sweet-potato-croquettes-fritters-yotam-ottolenghi

Cornishblues Sun 25-Mar-18 17:04:51

(Was referring to the lentil and coconut soup on that link).

leghairdontcare Sun 25-Mar-18 17:04:56

If it's ok, I'll check in as I like Indian food but not really takeaway and can't make it well enough for it to be worth while.

karmakameleon Sun 25-Mar-18 22:10:48

This is my favourite chicken curry and dead easy too.

meerasodha.com/what-my-mother-taught-me/

karmakameleon Sun 25-Mar-18 22:12:02

All her recipes are pretty good so if you like it may be worth getting her books.

karmakameleon Sun 25-Mar-18 22:17:48

And this aubergine curry is my 5 yr old's favourite.

meerasodha.com/gujarat-part-2-gujarat/

viques Sun 25-Mar-18 22:22:58

Someone gave me Chetna's ( her off master chef a couple of years ago) book, called Chai Chaat and Chutney. I have done a couple of her recipes and they worked out well and were easy.

The spiced fish was fabulous actually.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 27-Mar-18 14:16:36

Cooking like mummyji has some nice, easy Indian home cooking recipes.

kateandme Wed 28-Mar-18 13:41:26

hairy bikers salmon curry is good.
nadiya has some lovely ones.
madhurs chicken tikka curry.
rick steins butter chicken
maunika gowardhan has some great ones.

UrbaneSprawl Thu 29-Mar-18 10:05:38

Madhur Jaffrey’s “Curry Easy” is a great book. The chicken curry that is basically ‘marinade everything in yoghurt overnight and then bake it’ from that book is particularly good, and an absolute doddle to throw together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »