Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to serve pulled pork like this?

(9 Posts)
CrispsAndChoc Sat 24-Mar-18 16:45:10

Hi everyone. I’m cooking a large pulled pork for a party. I’ll be slow cooking it at home and then taking it to the party. Just wondering if that’s safe and if I’ll need to do anything before serving it.

I could take the base and leave it on warm when we get to the party but that will be a pain. I really don’t want to give everyone food poisoning! I’m about 20 minutes drive from the party and it will be part of a buffet for the day.

OP’s posts: |
childmindingmumof3 Sat 24-Mar-18 16:49:44

How long between cooking and eating? Are you planning on reheating it?

antimatter Sat 24-Mar-18 16:52:05

You will be fine. Pork fat doesn’t go off. Pulled pork has high fat content. In my experience pulled pork doesn’t go off easily. I make it very often. Are you planning to keep it at home warm and then transport it. IMHO yoi won’t give food poisoning to anyone.

Yacka Sat 24-Mar-18 16:54:37

The official line is to make sure the food is heated to 82° once cooked.
Then what is called "hot holding" at no less than 63° for a maximum for 2 hours.

So if you pork is pipping hot before you leave the house and is served in the next 2 hours. Ideally on a low heat it will be fine.

Yacka Sat 24-Mar-18 16:57:34

Or if you do not want it to be on a heat at the party. You can let it cool asap from the 82° and serve cold.

Pork is usually an ok meat for a buffet situation. So do not worry. As long as it has made the minimum 82 to ensure it's cooked fully.

CrispsAndChoc Sat 24-Mar-18 17:58:14

Thank you. It will be going on the buffet table straight away but how quickly it will be eaten I don’t know!

OP’s posts: |
QuiteLikely5 Sat 24-Mar-18 17:59:42

Strange do slow cookers even reach 85 degrees?

Yacka Sat 24-Mar-18 18:11:20

No slow cookers don't usually get that hot. But not too far off if you have a high setting.

Usually if the liquid is bubbling it is 75-80° so a few degrees out won't do much as guidelines do always have a higher level than needed to kill bacteria as a buffer for safety reasons.

So don't worry about them serving it at a party 20 mins away.

Ps have fun and enjoy as I now what slow pork smile

antimatter Sun 25-Mar-18 00:03:34

my slow cooker cooked to 100 degrees on highest setting, I have instant Pot now so that's different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »