Talk

Advanced search

Roast chicken, and bored of Bisto - what sauce shall I make?

(7 Posts)
TolpuddleFarterOATB Wed 21-Mar-18 13:50:50

I'm roasting a chicken tonight, with baby potatoes, carrots and broccoli. I usually have Bisto gravy with it, but I'm a bit fed up of it.

What sauce could I make to go with it? I've got a lot of stuff in at the moment (apart from cream.) Any suggestions?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Tigerpit Wed 21-Mar-18 14:20:53

Do you make bread sauce to go with roast chicken? I can't eat it without bread sauce. In fact I could eat bread sauce on its own, sod the chicken....

happymumof4crazykids Wed 21-Mar-18 14:24:03

Why not just make proper gravy with the meat juices and veg water?

TolpuddleFarterOATB Wed 21-Mar-18 14:27:30

I've never made bread sauce - mainly through prejudice as my grandad loves it and he loves anything bland! Maybe I should look into it...

It's one of those roast-in-the-bag chickens so bit more tricky to make a proper gravy, but may be doable (if I was to do that I usually make it in the tin the bird has cooked in.)

OP’s posts: |
Dumbotheelephant Wed 21-Mar-18 14:34:28

Cheese sauce will go nice with the broccoli and cauliflower.

MsHomeSlice Wed 21-Mar-18 14:38:18

go light and lemony....quarter up a lemon and spritz the juice over the chicken and veg, tuck squished lemon inside chicken and cook as normal

keep all juices from tin/bag and tip into a narrow tall glass or jug, makes it easier to get a lot of the fat off

check for seasoning and thicken it a little with cornflour....chickeny lemony goodness :D

I do love bread sauce too though, but never really do it except at christmas!

Tigerpit Wed 21-Mar-18 16:32:58

Okay, I make a very unofficial and slapdash bread sauce, but it works for me, and as I'm the only one who eats it, I can do what I like!!

Small amount of onion, finely chopped, a grind of two of black pepper and a bay leaf into a pan, add a decent splosh of milk and bring just about to the boil, then take off the heat, slap on a lid and leave to steep for as long as you can.

When chicken is almost ready, fish out the bay leaf. I leave the onion in, but you do what you prefer. Crumble a slice or two of stale-ish bread into a bowl. Bring milk back to the simmer again, with a blob of butter in it. When almost boiling, start adding the breadcrumbs, bit by bit, stirring constantly till it's the consistency you like. Simmer for a minute or two then serve (or sit it aside to wait for everything else).

As another poster said above, I save the juices from a bake in bag chicken. It makes amazing gravy and is really full of flavour. Just shove the chicken on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm whilst you fuddle around with the gravy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »