Talk

Advanced search

Saltiest take-away food

(9 Posts)
lljkk Tue 13-Mar-18 08:36:06

... is Chinese, media says, today.
Actually, for us, it's take-away pizza. We all have experience of waking up parched & thirsty at 1am after take-away pizza, but not other types of take-aways.

What do you reckon? Is your Chinese the saltiest take-away food you have?

Finderscrispy Tue 13-Mar-18 08:38:31

From cooking Chinese food at home, they do use a lot of salt in their recipes. Talking tablespoons not pinches, so it doesn’t surprise me.

BeyondDeadlySiren Tue 13-Mar-18 08:39:35

Yeah I'd say Chinese. Pizza does make me thirsty, but nothing like Chinese does.

mrsnec Tue 13-Mar-18 08:46:03

Yes to pizza if you have a lot of processed meat on the toppings. If you get a veggie one it doesn't seem so bad.

Purplerain101 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:47:42

Chinese definitely. In my local takeaway I can see the food being made from behind the counter and the chef literally chucks a handful of salt into each dish plus all the salty soy sauces etc they use. Still tastes delicious but I try and only have it very occasionally for this reason

lljkk Tue 13-Mar-18 08:50:48

We make our own veg & rice at home (no salt added) so maybe that's why our Chinese seems ok.
We also make own veg at home to accompany the pizza, mind.

LemonysSnicket Tue 13-Mar-18 09:39:04

Definitely Chinese... sugar too. That’s why it tastes so good

demirose87 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:44:54

I'd say Chinese too but it's an occasional treat so I don't care. Whenever I eat gammon steaks though, I'm up during the night needing a drink.

BeyondDeadlySiren Tue 13-Mar-18 09:46:09

Just fell down a google hole...

I learnt that while msg itself doesn't make you thirsty exactly, in those people who are sensitive to it, one of the side effects is extreme thirst.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: