Advanced search

Help - Japanese food advice please

(11 Posts)
Tigerpit Mon 12-Mar-18 12:18:55

My friend's celebrating her 50th birthday at a Japanese sushi restaurant. I've looked at the menu online and it's mostly sushi/fishy type things, as expected.

The problem is that I loathe fish. This she knows, and she's assured me there are non-fish choices. Unfortunately I also find cold rice or noodles unpalatable, and really don't enjoy "seaweedy" type flavours. I think that rules out the veggie or vegan sushi options. I'm lost.

Are Japanese stir fry rice or noodle dishes served hot? I could go for a veggie stir fry if so, as they're on the menu.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Mar-18 12:20:37

Every Japanese/sushi restaurant I’ve been too also did hot dishes. A stir fry would be hot. Can you share the menu and we can tell you what would be warm?

Twofishfingers Mon 12-Mar-18 12:22:34

could you link to the menu?

If they serve katsu curry it might be a good option.

RebeccaCloud9 Mon 12-Mar-18 12:23:37

Chicken katsu curry or most noodle/broth dishes may work for you

fannyanddick Mon 12-Mar-18 12:25:37

Teriyaki chicken with rice? Basically plain rice with non breads chicken in a light coating of a sweet soy like sauce. Usually comes with a bit of salad and sesame seeds.

YogaPants Mon 12-Mar-18 12:28:33

Yaki soba is the Japanese equivalent of a chow mien, a hot fried noodle dish.

Tigerpit Mon 12-Mar-18 12:35:17

Oh thank you so much, you lovely people.
Yes, there's yaki soba on the menu, and a few rice and noodle stir fries with chicken and vegetables. That's lifted my spirits considerably!

Thank you, I hated to think of not going but I also hated to think I'd end up sitting there refusing to eat and spoiling my pal's birthday meal.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Mar-18 13:24:22

Enjoy the meal!

Upsidedownandinsideout Mon 12-Mar-18 21:42:55

Tons of hot dishes. Anything with 'yaki' means fried (usually wok not deep!), or katsu is just rice with breaded pork or chicken, like a really nice schnitzel.

kateandme Tue 13-Mar-18 10:23:11

noodle dishes are often hot when stir fried and are amazing if done well.
sukiyaki warm noodle dish with added veg usually beef or other meets cooked in broth
yokisaba is japenese stir fried noodles
mizutake it a warm hot pot dish
just ask them if they are good restaurant ive found they love to let you know the best dishes.
well done for going come back and tell us what you had eh

Tigerpit Tue 13-Mar-18 10:42:26

I will do. It's not for a few weeks, but I needed to tell her now if I was going to go or not. Hubby's relieved too - he's a fish lover but he's never had sushi, so I think he's pleased there will be other options if he decides against trying it. Thank you everyone, I can now look forward to it rather than dreading it xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now