Talk

Advanced search

What's the best recipe using pinto beans?

(14 Posts)
lucydogz Tue 06-Mar-18 13:41:51

I'm exploring using beans more. I really like black beans and chick peas, and have just bought a bag of pinto beans. Is there any recipe to use them specifically, or do you just substitute them for beans in other recipes?

OP’s posts: |
Purplerain101 Tue 06-Mar-18 13:43:43

I just substitute them for other beans. They are really good in a bean chilli, and also as refried beans as a Mexican side dish.

lucydogz Tue 06-Mar-18 13:54:24

So, bean chilli - fry up onion, garlic, chilli. Add beans and tinned tomatoes? Anything else to add?

Purplerain101 Tue 06-Mar-18 14:54:41

www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pinto-bean-chilli This recipe is delicious and easily adapted if you want to miss out some of the spices/herbs and wine etc

lucydogz Tue 06-Mar-18 15:18:24

Thank you. That's tomorrow's tea sorted.

Todayisanewday75 Sun 11-Mar-18 07:50:12

There is a pinto bean bolognese on thevegspace.co.uk that is delicious, has a lot of red wine in it

confusedandemployed Sun 11-Mar-18 07:52:17

Just a word of warning: I use loads of beans and decided to try pinto beans for a change.

The flatulence was unbelievable. Christ, if I could have got away from my own arse I would have. DH had to sleep in the spare room. blush

Todayisanewday75 Sun 11-Mar-18 07:55:08

And for a basic bean chilli I fry onion and garlic, add 1tbsp mild chilli powder, 1tsp each cumin and oregano, 1/4tsp cayenne, 2 cans of beans and 1 can tomatoes then simmer.

nong45 Sun 11-Mar-18 08:01:56

Bean Burritos - fry up chopped onion garlic and peppers, add some cumin and paprika, chipotle paste, add a tin on baked beans in tomato sauce and a tin (or equivalent) of pinto beans and cook through. Fill your tortillas with bean mixture, grated cheese, avocado salsa / guacamole and sour cream, jalepenos. Great alternative to meat burritos even the meat lovers in my house think so.

nong45 Sun 11-Mar-18 08:03:46

Ps don't drain the baked beans before adding but do drain the pinto!

lucydogz Sun 11-Mar-18 08:28:18

Thanks all, i'll definitely try them.
confused that made me laugh. The very, very worst are soybeans (from dried). We made a soybean casserole for a dinner party once. It was delicious, but by the end of the evening we were pratically cross-eyed with the effort of not farting. Especially as it was some people we wanted to impress.

BrassicaBabe Sun 11-Mar-18 20:24:35

Came in to say the same Hugh Fearnley-fleaface recipe as purplerain It's fab. Double up and freeze it

kateandme Mon 12-Mar-18 08:14:41

love making sausage and bean casserole with them.fry sausages.onions and garlic,sprinkle in some cornflour followed by a bit of stock,tin of tomatos and tin of baked beans.
or a chicken and veggies crumble.onion,garlic chicken bacon courgette,celery, and either add tomatos and jar of dolmio or make a white sauce add beans.thyme and mixed herbs.top with savoury crumble and grated cheese or slice/chunked potatos. bake.

silveradodreams Thu 15-Mar-18 20:32:32

thanks to the poster who suggested the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall chilli, it's delicious!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »