Talk

Advanced search

Healthier pot noodles- do they exist?

(5 Posts)
whataboutbob Mon 05-Mar-18 17:07:47

My 2 boys are permanently ravenous and love making up a pot noodle in the microwave. I don’t mind too much partly as I like this autonomy- rather than them asking me for snacks. But I’m looking for brands that are lower in salt, fat and ideally no MSG. Does such a thing exist?

OP’s posts: |
Tigerpit Mon 05-Mar-18 17:44:35

Hugh Fernley Whittingstall did a homemade version on one of his programmes. It was a nest of noodles then some veg/whatever on top, some stock powder and then boiling water then left to sit, covered, for 4 minutes.

I guess it depends on the ages of your boys....are they okay to use a kettle?

Tigerpit Mon 05-Mar-18 17:45:21

www.rivercottage.net/recipes/diy-pot-noodles

Hope this link works

whataboutbob Mon 05-Mar-18 18:31:44

The recipe looks lovely tiger. If they don’t like I darned well will! They are old enough for kettles (11 and 14).
Have some days off work this week so I’ll give it a go. Thanks for posting it.

OP’s posts: |
Tigerpit Tue 06-Mar-18 15:28:26

I didn't remember very well - it's 8 to 10 mins, not 4. I do mine in a pan as I work from home, and it's usually 4 minutes simmering time. I guess they could both cope with a pan on the hob too, at 11 and 14.

My favourite is shredded brussel sprouts and wholewheat noodles cooked in water with a bit of a chicken stock cube and then, once cooked, a handful of roughly chopped cashews and a splodge of sweet chilli sauce. Absolutely lush and a fav winter lunch. I'm sure two adventurous boys could soon come up with amazing options themselves!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »