Talk

Advanced search

Sourdough starter

(7 Posts)
Jux Mon 05-Mar-18 15:30:13

I made my starter 4 days ago, am feeding it every day and it lives in the airing cupboard, which is quite warm.

When I take it out to feed, it has a dark crust on top, not thick, and easy to mix in along with the feed.

Is that normal or should I chuck it and begin again?

(I'm using rye flour.)

OP’s posts: |
billybagpuss Mon 05-Mar-18 15:32:31

keep going it takes about a week before it stops looking and smelling truly revolting.

Jux Mon 05-Mar-18 17:31:24

Ah, OK, thanks. So the crust on the top is normal? None of the recipes mention it, so I was bit ???? about it.

billybagpuss Mon 05-Mar-18 19:38:35

Its been a while, but yes I think so. Mine also did a 'blob' thing and grew massively overnight taking over the kitchen smile

Jux Mon 05-Mar-18 23:01:11

Coincidentally, I've just read Sourdough, in which a very similar thing happens grin

Jux Fri 09-Mar-18 13:34:39

I have another question!

At first I was covering a jug with a kitchen cloth, but nothing much happened so I found a china pot (with a lid) and used tha,t without the airtight lid, covered with a kitchen cloth. Still nothing much happened. Yesterday, I put the lid on so airtight, and today the starter had pushed the lid half off! But also yesterday, I used water that was a bit warmer too. So which made the difference?

Today I have transferred the whole thing to a larger kilner jar, used warmer water and the jar is airtight.

Does it need to be airtight?

reallybadidea Fri 09-Mar-18 13:43:58

I prefer mine to be fairly airtight to stop contaminants getting in. Probably doesn't matter too much

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »