Talk

Advanced search

Jar of pasta sauce

(10 Posts)
Twofishfingers Tue 27-Feb-18 11:15:25

I usually make my own veg pasta sauce, and also make bolognaise. But occasionally we're all in a rush and I'd like to buy a few jars of pasta sauce - which one is popular with your kids/isn't too salty/sugary? which ones would you recommend?

OP’s posts: |
ValiaH Tue 27-Feb-18 11:27:34

We use Loyd Grosman tomato and basil, or pesto here smile No idea about sugar content, but it is nice!

strawberrysparkle Tue 27-Feb-18 11:28:25

Stay away from Dolmio - they are very sugary!

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Tue 27-Feb-18 11:31:17

I never use sauces, if I am in a rush, I use passata with a spoon of tomato or basil pesto.

Camomila Tue 27-Feb-18 11:33:45

I usually make my own but occasionally buy Barilla for homesickness for Italy reasons. Expensive though!

It is the nicest tasting IMO.

Bitsy1968 Tue 27-Feb-18 13:14:21

I buy the fresh sauces from Tesco once in a while, when I know there's a manic evening coming up and I need a fast dinner. The chargrilled veg one is quite nice, but I like to add extra veg like peppers and mushrooms. The tomato based ones freeze really nicely too, if you find you don't need it after all. Other than that, I always have red and green pesto (the lower fat versions) in the cupboard. That and a jar of capers and olives has saved many an evening...

lastqueenofscotland Tue 27-Feb-18 13:21:20

I find the lloydgrossman ones really really oily?
The Aldi stir in roasted pepper is nice

Ricekrispie22 Tue 27-Feb-18 16:20:23

This one www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/283052424
No refined sugar, £1 a jar.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 27-Feb-18 18:45:40

@Ricekrispie22 well, it has added apple juice concentrate, i.e. sugar.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 27-Feb-18 20:37:08

@FluffyWuffy I am well aware that it has apple juice concentrate, thanks. That's precisely why I used the word refined. It's near impossible to find a completely sugar free jar of pasta sauce because you need something to counter the acidity of the tomato and to act as a preservative, otherwise it would have virtually no shelf life.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »