Talk

Advanced search

Healthy (healthier) after school snacks

(3 Posts)
GoodluckJonathan76 Tue 27-Feb-18 10:26:57

What do you give DCs by way of after school snacks? DSs, 9 and 7, are always starving as they barely eat their packed lunch (I've tried different foods for lunch but seems to be more a case of them being keen to get into the playground so they don't eat much) and want biscuits/sugar etc which obviously isn't great for them. DS9 will eat pretzels, olive bread etc, and we try to make sure they have a piece of fruit, but would be grateful for any quick/portable/yummy recommendations for snacks. They both hate cheese and milk/yoghurt so not an option.

OP’s posts: |
BeanFobbedOff Tue 27-Feb-18 12:13:15

Hardboiled eggs?

I know it's know it's a cliché, but mine wolf down houmous with crudités veg sticks to dip in.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 27-Feb-18 16:16:31

Rice cakes in different flavours.
Bread sticks
I sometimes cook a few extra sausages if we have them in the evening and chop them up and put them in small tubs for snacks.
Mini vegetable spring rolls
Spicy roasted chickpeas
Malt loaf lunchbox bars
Pots of fruit in jelly. wish I could say I make my own, but I'm never that organised.
My DC love dried mango
Little pots of cereal. They don't mind eating it dry, like popcorn/crisps. Shreddies, Cheerios, banana Weetabix Minis, Raisin Wheats and Jordan's strawberry country crisp work well.
Fish sticks
Not really portable, but cuppa porridge.
Slices of Apple dipped in peanut butter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »