Talk

Advanced search

Best Italian main course for dinner party?

(12 Posts)
OrangeSunset Wed 14-Feb-18 15:44:06

Inspired after a recent visit to Italy I’d like to go with an Italian theme for dinner for friends this weekend. That said, I’m veggie and also want something I can make ahead.

Am planning aubergine parmigiana, greens and a tiramisu. Any suggestions for a meat/chicken main I can make ahead smile?

JollyGiraffe Wed 14-Feb-18 15:46:47

Chicken parmigiana?

JollyGiraffe Wed 14-Feb-18 15:47:37

Or chicken stuffed with mozzarella and pesto and wrapped in prosciutto ham.

Can prep before, then just put in the oven to cook.

Served with greens and rosemary potatoes.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 14-Feb-18 17:28:46

Chicken cacciatore is easy to prep in advance and could be served with the greens and some baby potatoes. It would share a few ingredients wit( your aubergine parmigiana which could be handy.

dantdmistedious Wed 14-Feb-18 17:38:46

Pork saltimboca or veal if you can get decent rose veal.

NickMyLipple Wed 14-Feb-18 17:40:16

Lasagne!

irregularegular Wed 14-Feb-18 17:46:34

You're veggie - do you need a meat course.

I decided to do an all veggie Italian dinner party recently. I'm not veggie, but one of my guests was, and I thought it would make a nice change.

I did a couple of different bruschettas to start. Then a chick pea and pasta soup. Then Nigella's aubergine involtini with spinach salad. It was yummy!

(then I stupidly messed up with a non-vegetarian pudding - it had gelatine in it. durrr!)

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 14-Feb-18 17:49:37

Pork (rather than veal) saltimbocca with lemon risotto and spinach. It's delicious.

Mominatrix Wed 14-Feb-18 21:38:54

osso buco - can be made the night before and reheated in the oven. Serve with polenta and the greens you planned.

OrangeSunset Wed 14-Feb-18 21:41:51

Yes I was thinking Chicken Cacciatore atleast. Have you tried that particular recipe?

Don’t need to do a meat course, but quite happy to and also happy if the aubergine parmigiana results in some leftovers.

kateandme Thu 15-Feb-18 01:49:22

orangeSunset ive had great success with this and her slow cooker method.she even notes how to make ahead.
cafedelites.com/chicken-cacciatore/

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 15-Feb-18 09:38:17

Yes I’ve used that recipe many times. I use breasts rather than thighs because I prefer them but I know thighs are the recommended cut for this type of dish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now