Talk

Advanced search

Tips for dauphinois potatoes?

(15 Posts)
flugelhorn3 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:01:01

I quite often make these, with mixed results. Sometimes they're a bit watery or could be more flavoursome. Does anyone have any top tips or recipes? Thanks!

Snowydaysarehere Fri 09-Feb-18 13:02:48

Ah well we have our own new invented method!! Posh jar of sauce stirred in mashed potatoes, in an oven proof dish for half an hour!! Perfect!!

Youcanstayundermyumbrella Fri 09-Feb-18 13:05:18

I make mine with waxy potatoes always. In layers with crushed garlic scattered over each layer. Then I warm cream, add a bit of nutmeg, salt and grated cheese until it melts (gruyere is nicest) and then pour the mixture over the potatoes. Into a fairly hot oven till cooked.!

Elmosmum Fri 09-Feb-18 13:05:35

Buy Aldi's own they're gorgeous grin

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Feb-18 13:07:17

I par cook potatoes in cream so that you don't get any undercooked bits.

See Nigella's bread sauce potato gratin recipe - it's bloody delicious.

Springtrolls Fri 09-Feb-18 13:07:46

Rub the dish with garlic.
Season the cream itself and mix it before pouring over the potato. I usually add some mixed herbs as well.
Cheese on top.

Sometimes I will make it with a mix of normal and sweet potatoes. Just one sweet one is needed

lemonsquisher Fri 09-Feb-18 13:12:06

Waxy potatoes, rinsed in cold water after peeling. MIL, who is French, swears by creme fraiche which I think might be pretty standard across France since proper double cream can be tricky to find there. And Gruyere for the top!

BertrandRussell Fri 09-Feb-18 13:14:36

Longer cooking than you think by miles. I have served them as a separate course before when I have underestimated!

kshaw Fri 09-Feb-18 13:16:53

I use the recipe off of bbc good food - works every time!

TeddyIsaHe Fri 09-Feb-18 13:17:09

Waxy potatoes sliced on a mandolin.

Double cream and milk in big saucepan, in with potatoes, salt, pepper and garlic. Boil until potatoes are almost tender.

Tip into baking dish, try and neatly layer. Pour rest of cream/milk on top.

Oven for 25-30mins until golden and bubbly.

gastropod Fri 09-Feb-18 13:17:39

Used to live in Lyon where you get a lot of dauphinois potatoes! My tips:

Use waxy potatoes
Slice thin and blanch (or parboil but don't over cook) in salted boiling water if you want to save time.
Use a metal tin for the crispiest results.
Rub the dish with a cut clove of garlic and grease generously with butter.
Mix milk and crème fraîche and add the cut garlic clove plus salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Dip the potato slices in the milk mix and layer up in the dish.
Dot each layer with butter and season generously.
Pour the remaining milk/cream mix over the top, for with more butter and bake in a hot oven till the top is deep golden brown and crispy.

Definitely no cheese, if you are being authentic. (If it's well made it's better without!)

TheVanguardSix Fri 09-Feb-18 13:19:29

The best recipe for straight up, authentic dauphinoise is this one! It's the only one I use!
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/18/gratin-dauphinoise-classic-nigel-slater

I'm generous with the garlic bulb rubbing and the salt. I cover in tin foil for the majority of the baking then remove for the last 10-15 minutes to crisp up the top some more.

MrSlant Fri 09-Feb-18 13:21:07

Half full fat milk/half cream with two crushed but still whole garlic clove scald in pan (bring it so it just boils up then straight off) remover garlic and leave to cool.

Make sure your slices of waxy potato are equally thin then layer carefully, salt/pepper/butter blob each layer.

Pour over cream/milk mix, cover with buttered foil (butter side down) and weight with something. Cook quite hot for 25 minutes weighted down with something that won't explode in the oven (!) (this gives it the nice solid/together feel you get in restaurants) then 20 minutes with the foil and weight off to get a nice golden crust.

Make loads!

flugelhorn3 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:59:14

Thanks everyone! That tip of rubbing the dish with garlic is a really good one!

mommybunny Tue 13-Feb-18 21:22:01

I swear by Nigella Bites method - parcook the potatoes in milk and cream, with some minced garlic, salt and a whole onion before finishing in a hot oven for about 20 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now