Talk

Advanced search

Stevia

(11 Posts)
tulipz Fri 09-Feb-18 10:39:35

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with stevia as a substitute for sugar? If so does your children have it? Do you have any recipes or hints to share?

Thank you

tulipz Sun 11-Feb-18 12:40:46

Anyone??????

floriad Sun 11-Feb-18 15:31:12

A little.

Yes, it can substitute sugar. But it tends to have a certain taste (also depends on the brand you're using).

Substituting about half of the sugar is usually a safe bet. Or using it in things with a strong taste.

Wouldn't use it for baking / in a dough that requires more than a sprinkle of sugar, where sugar is an essential ingredient (but I have used it for pie fillings)

Idk whether it's recommended for small children.

tulipz Mon 12-Feb-18 12:46:47

Thank you, that's very helpful. Don't know anyone who's tried it smile

floriad Mon 12-Feb-18 12:54:00

smile

Also:
let's say you'd usually add two spoons of sugar and want to substitute 1/2 of it with stevia.

You can't just substitute one spoon of sugar with one spoon of stevia.

One spoon of real sugar and a quarter spoon of stevia would usually be enough.

this works ime for sauces, toppings, custards, compotes etc...

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 12-Feb-18 13:14:04

My DC sometimes drink cordial sweetened with stevia. They find it tastes similar to sugar, but I find that it has quite a nasty aftertaste. I Googled and apparently a small proportion of the population (I can't remember exactly) can taste the nasty aftertaste. So if one of your family makes a fuss and the others don't it's not necessarily just that one is being difficult, it might actually taste different for them.

trixymalixy Mon 12-Feb-18 13:16:50

Stevia is absolutely vile. I've heard erythritol is nicer, but haven't tried it.

I'd rather my kids had sugar than artificial sweeteners.

floriad Mon 12-Feb-18 14:41:40

Stevia does have a taste imo.

But I (and my family) don't taste it if I use stevia to sweeten some things. Especially not if it already has strong flavour (things like chocolate sauce etc)

tulipz Thu 15-Feb-18 17:30:52

Thanks, it's interesting to hear people's views

Mycarsmellsoflavender Thu 15-Feb-18 17:40:22

I'm really pissed off with Heinz because a couple of years ago or so, they changed the formulation of their lower sugar, lower salt ketchup to include stevia. To me it leaves an aftertaste like artificial sweeteners. I would recommend trying the ketchup and seeing if you like it, before embarking on lots of recipes with stevia.

averylongtimeago Thu 15-Feb-18 17:49:05

I tried it a couple of years ago when I was dieting.
It is revolting and leaves a horrible after taste in your mouth.
I would rather have no sugar than use it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: