Talk

Advanced search

Help me out with salmon

(10 Posts)
ElenaBothari Tue 06-Feb-18 13:20:16

I have a side of salmon, but have never cooked it before and don’t eat fish, so two questions:

1. I’m going to marinade with garlic, herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, then bake it. What should I serve with it? Thinking of new potatoes with parsley and either asparagus or broccoli?

2. Will it be ok to reheat the next day? Or could I freeze some of it (either before or after marinating)?

Thanks

InDubiousBattle Tue 06-Feb-18 13:22:41

Potatoes and a green veg sounds lovely. I would eat re heated salmon (but I'll eat anything!)but it would also be nice cold in also salad. I would freeze any you don't think you'll eat before marinating.

viques Tue 06-Feb-18 13:29:45

if you think you won't eat it all then I would cut off the bit you won't eat and freeze, either in one piece or in decent sized fillets, wrap each fillet in cling film and then you can defrost what you need at a time. I would not cook and reheat. I quite often buy a side of salmon, or even a whole one if they are on special offer and cut into individual portions to freeze.

I would cook it with broccoli as it is in season and the only decent asparagus (ie English!) is not ! I would not marinade with garlic though as I think it is too strong for salmon, if I want a bit of a different taste I use fresh ginger, grated, or cumin, either of which goes well with salmon, or just stick to lemon and oil. Enjoy, it sounds lovely. Wrap it well in a foil parcel before baking to keep it moist.

ElenaBothari Tue 06-Feb-18 14:14:24

Thanks both!

Stupid question, but roughly how much salmon would one adult normally eat? I’m cooking it for friends but don’t eat it myself so not sure how much to freeze.

InDubiousBattle Tue 06-Feb-18 15:26:52

I buy 2 fillets and the pack is 240g so about 120 g is a reasonable portion.

magicstar1 Tue 06-Feb-18 15:46:50

I'd cook the whole lot and use the leftovers for sandwiches...so tasty!

ElenaBothari Tue 06-Feb-18 16:41:23

Cool thanks very much.

Wtfdoicare Tue 06-Feb-18 16:46:13

Cold in a salad the next day. I prefer cold salmon to hot!

SunnyL Tue 06-Feb-18 16:48:36

Left over salmon in quiche or fritatta is lovely

Bluesheep8 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:34:13

Or use leftover salmon for fish cakes or make into a creamy pasta sauce?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: