Talk

Advanced search

Homemade coleslaw

(21 Posts)
Bluesheep8 Sun 04-Feb-18 12:43:19

Hi, I've just been prepping the veg for lunch and have got half of a large white cabbage left which I don't want to waste. Anyone have a coleslaw recipe? Ideally not too creamy if poss ( I love thick, creamy coleslaw but DP hates it) thanks!

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 04-Feb-18 12:46:03

I just shred it, grate some carrot and chop onion (preferably spring onion but white onions work too). Then mix in mayonnaise.

Probably not at all authentic, but I like it!

CMOTDibbler Sun 04-Feb-18 12:46:44

I grate the cabbage on the coarsest grater (or slice it), grate carrot on next coarsest until it looks the right amount (one really big carrot or two normal for half a cabbage), then chop some spring onions in.
I'd normally add mayo, but it's also nice with vinegarette. Black pepper, coarse sea salt. Lovely.

You could divide into two once you've done the veg and have one each in your preferred manner

MammaAgata Sun 04-Feb-18 12:49:16

Nigella has a recipe for an American coleslaw, using buttermilk, maple syrup and white wine vinegar in the dressing, it’s delicious. Sorry, I don’t know how to do links!

Bluesheep8 Sun 04-Feb-18 13:06:56

Thanks all...good thinking CMOT, hadn't thought of that!

wheresthel1ght Sun 04-Feb-18 13:12:58

I use the grater in the food processor 😁

Half a cabbage, decent sized carrot and sliced red onion, mayo to cream it up. Tastes amazing!

AdaColeman Sun 04-Feb-18 13:16:27

Waldorf salad is delicious too. wine

moochypooch Mon 05-Feb-18 07:21:31

Adding some vinegar makes it less creamy - still good though on the day but it doesn't seem to keep very long.

BIWI Mon 05-Feb-18 07:27:43

Thinly slice the cabbage - food processor is ideal, so you can get it as thin as possible.

Finely grate the carrot.

Finely chop some shallot (not too much as it will be too overpowering otherwise).

Mix it all together, then add an olive oil vinaigrette (based on 3 or 5 parts oil to 1 part white wine vinegar, with salt and black pepper)

Stir and leave to stand for 30+ minutes. Just before you want to serve, stir in some mayonnaise to give it the creamy texture - as much as you or your DP want.

Catinthecorner Mon 05-Feb-18 23:56:29

For a creamy, but not too creamy, traditional type slaw I do one teaspoon Dijon mustard, two large tablespoons sour cream, apple cider vinegar to thin to correct consistency (maybe a couple of tablespoons) and ground pepper.

Fruitbat1980 Tue 06-Feb-18 00:01:10

😵 at people using mayo? Is that a thing? We only ever use salad cream and black pepper? My ghast is flabbered.
I occasionally like to mix things up and do a chunky coleslaw- instead of grate and slice I dice everything same size, carrot and all, about half centimetre cubes. And add Granny Smith apple if I’m brave.

parrotonmyshoulder Tue 06-Feb-18 10:20:54

Oh My God, Fruitbat! Someone likes something different to you in their coleslaw! Must be a terrible shock. Do sit down, won’t you. How will you cope with that knowledge?

ShowMeTheElf Tue 06-Feb-18 10:24:31

I hand slice the cabbage, as if I grate it or use the processor it makes it too wet for my taste. Then coarsely grate the carrot.
Finely chop onion and mix with the mayo to evenly flavour it and thin it down a little, then fold in the cabbage and carrot
So much nicer than bought and you get a proper bite to the veggies.

Thehairthebod Tue 06-Feb-18 10:27:09

Wow parrot, I think it's obvious that Fruitbat wasn't being serious!

senua Tue 06-Feb-18 10:34:14

I use finely sliced cabbage, ditto carrot and crushed/granulated garlic (the ordinary brown onion that I usually have in the cupboard can be too overpowering).
Add mayonnaise and lashing of black pepper. Make in advance so it has time to mellow.

gastropod Tue 06-Feb-18 10:38:03

I use half mayo, half (full or half fat) crème fraîche. Teaspoon of dijon or grainy mustard. 2 parts chopped cabbage to 1 part grated carrot. Sliced spring onions or half a finely chopped red onion. Maybe a tiny amount of chopped celery.

And one thing I've found that really helps is to really press out the liquid from the grated carrots by grating them onto a few pieces of kitchen paper and then wrapping up in the paper and wringing them out before adding to the mix. It sounds weird but it stops the coleslaw from getting too wet.

bluesouper Tue 06-Feb-18 11:20:04

Mayo and a teaspoon of sugar as the secret ingredient 😋😋. I can eat a whole bowl to myself yum yum.
I use a mandolin to finely slice the cabbage and coarse grated for carrot

BelleandBeast Tue 06-Feb-18 11:29:40

Cabbage, carrot, radish, fresh coriander and a dressing made with peanut butter, lime and chilli

It's delish with a burger smile

Beansonapost Tue 06-Feb-18 11:40:41

Cabbage, red onions (soaked in cold water before adding) , carrots Granny Smith apples radish.

Salt and pepper and Greek/natural yogurt.

Pythonesque Tue 06-Feb-18 11:46:42

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned my other "standard" coleslaw ingredients - celery and pepper (red or green; I prefer red my mother always preferred it with green).

We do ours with oil and vinegar, and it keeps quite well in the fridge. Those who like it creamy can add their mayonaisse when they eat it.

everythingstaken123 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:27:15

mamma is talking about nigella's New Orleans coleslaw which is the only one I make as its amazing. It's in nigella express.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: