Talk

Advanced search

She just won't eat!

(11 Posts)
alongcamethree Fri 19-Jan-18 18:48:11

Firstly, let me introduce myself a little.
I am a father of three (two boys and a little girl), starting nice and young at 17.
My oldest is now 9, middle is 4, and my youngest turned one in August.

Now on to the issue.
My little girl (just turned one) is refusing to eat. Now, when I say refusing, I don't mean just some things - I mean everything.
The reason I am asking for advice is for the following reasons:
1. My oldest ate and eats everything (except red onions).
2. My middle was fussy young but has slowly grown to eat everything (except shellfish).

I have spoken to doctors about my little girl's eating but they are not too worried as she was a big girl at birth, and isn't small now.

To sum it all up; how on earth do I get her to eat?!
We've tried almost every food we can get hold of and nothing, except banana, and cereal, will interest her in the slightest.

Help please!!

OP’s posts: |
Lweji Fri 19-Jan-18 18:50:46

Is she still drinking plenty of milk?

Do you eat as a family, or separately?

What kind of cereal does she eat?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 18:54:56

Agree that we need some more information. If you could answer Lweji’s questions, that would be great.

Also, what happens if she refuses a meal?

Is she tracking her centiles?

Do you give her a vitamin supplement?

And has she been checked for tongue tie?

alongcamethree Fri 19-Jan-18 18:56:36

Hi Lweji,

She drinks approximately 10-12 oz milk per day.

She normally eats alongside her brothers (with me snacking on leftovers in the corner).

Each morning before work I sit with her and feed her Cheerio-type-cereals.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 19:09:33

She not having too much milk then. Is there a reason that you don’t each together?

alongcamethree Fri 19-Jan-18 19:28:38

To be honest, the main reason we don't eat together is it's normally a little early for me when the kids eat.

They tend to eat between 5 and 6pm, so that showers/baths, and bed are all done a suitable time.

On some of the evenings my partner does not work we do sit down and have a proper meal together.

If I eat at that time, I tend to either snack all night, or eat another meal later on - which does not go down well with the waistline.

The last time she was weighed her centiles were on track (i.e. a little lower each time as she was a big girl).

We have not tried supplements as I didn't want to mask anything should tests be done through GP. And she is not tongue tied.

Snakesandsnakes Fri 19-Jan-18 19:35:40

It's not much practical help but my eldest would barely eat anything at that age. I was tearing my hair out. My best technique was distraction, giving her a book, game etc and just trying to get some food in. She wasn't really bothered by the telly but I did try that too. She's 3 now and generally eats well, the change just sort of happened but I do remember the desperation well and if she's poorly she'll still get by on next to nothing.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 19:41:05

Think you might need to put her first and eat together if I’m honest smile

As for the supplements, the NHS recommend supplements. Havea look here.

If she’s tracking her centiles, you haven’t really got anything to worry about. She must be eating something. Have you read Help My Child Won’t Eat! by Carlos González? You might find it a reassuring read smile

Lweji Fri 19-Jan-18 19:47:57

It also depends on what you think it's a suitable amount for her to eat.

I found that my expectations for DS were a lot lower than for example (and a bit later) by my brother for his son.

Without much more information, I'd offer a range of foods, but in small portions and eat them.

I was lucky that DS didn't refuse food, but when he was recovering from illnesses, for example, it helped if I ate one bit and he ate the next and so on.
It can be made into a game.
I'd put different types of food (main dish, salad, fruit) in front of DS and he'd just grab what he wanted to eat at any time.

You could also try foods that you don't normally eat, for any reason. She might like foods that most children, or your family aren't fond of.

Does she eat with her hands, or does she prefer spoons?

Overall, though, meal times should be pleasurable. Don't put pressure on her and don't pay too much attention to what she doesn't eat. Instead, make a fuss when she does.

alongcamethree Fri 19-Jan-18 20:01:23

Thank you for advice - it's much appreciated.

I will give the book a read.

All a bit new as my two boys would eat anything you put in front of them - including the plate if you let them.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 20:38:16

And I’d definitely stop feeding her. If she likes Cheerios they make a great finger food if they’re dry. I’d put them in a bowl. Give her a cup of milk and let her get on with it while everyone else eats their breakfast smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »