Talk

Advanced search

Menu ideas please

(7 Posts)
LalalaLeah Sat 13-Jan-18 19:43:43

I am entertaining a family tomorrow who cooked me a traditional meal from the country they are from when we visited their house. I'm doing a light tea
But
Would like to show effort but actually be low effort - as I am on own with kids tomorrow but they made a big effort for us
There's only 2 adults
I am a veggie
6 kids most of whom are fussy and one veggie

So far I have
Baked camberbert
French sticks
Sausage / chorizo / veggie sausage / cheese board (mainly for kids to pick at with the bread)
Roasted butternut squash and walnut salad
Crudities and hummus (also mainly for kids)

I feel like something is lacking - they made me several dishes and took home leftovers

I have half a fruit cake for dessert - any idea on easy desserts?
Can do ice cream and fruit for kids

LalalaLeah Sat 13-Jan-18 19:44:28

Sorry three adults including me (one veggie)
6 kids (one veggie)
DH will be home later hungry from work and will eat substantial leftovers

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 13-Jan-18 20:23:18

You could do Camembert hedgehog bread with the Camembert. It looks impressive and tastes amazing, but is very easy to make.

Also maybe some sort of grain or bean based salad?

kateandme Sat 13-Jan-18 20:36:50

perhaps something a little more main like.a pasta dish/salad/bake or something.or roasted veggie couscous or rice one pot.
what about sheet pan tart.can you get your hands on of those ready rolls or ready to roll pastry sheets.then just add some (whatever you fancy topppings on.wee done pesto chicken.salami tomato and cheese.tomatos and mozerella.bacon and eggs on it and bake.tehy are really nice.
somesort of eton mess like dessert.buy some mirangues crush them and mix with whipped cream and fruits

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 13-Jan-18 22:09:31

What about doing a topped flat bread? Just a basic pizza dough rolled out thin into a rectangle. I did a lovely one with a base of caramelised onion chutneyand topped with fig, gorgonzola and pinenuts baked in the oven with some rocket scattered on top at the end. Really simple but delicious. If you wanted something that may appeal moe to fussy kids could just top with tomato and mozerrella more like a regular pizza.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 13-Jan-18 22:10:45

For dessert what about warm chocolate brownies and ice cream?

LalalaLeah Sat 13-Jan-18 22:39:05

Thanks everyone some great ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now