Talk

Advanced search

Non mushy rice

(8 Posts)
sthitch Sat 13-Jan-18 16:09:12

Any tips to make non mushy rice? we have a quick recipe but all the websites with tips recommend soaking for half an hour etc which we don’t have time for. They also say to cook with a tea towel on top but can’t do that with a gas stove. Any other tips to make some nice non mushy rice?

myrtleWilson Sat 13-Jan-18 16:12:36

we do soak but not for 1/2 hour - tend to follow Ken Hom www.channel4.com/programmes/sunday-brunch/articles/all/ken-homs-perfect-steamed-rice-recipe/1539 -- I tend to do the second 15 minutes with the heat off completely for about 1/2 of the time.... Generally works 95% of time and I think when its not worked its probably because I've put too much water in...

Dogegg33 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:13:23

Measure the rice in cup and just add one and a half times the amount of boiling water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down. When the water has all gone ( little pits on top of the rice) turn off the heat but leave the lid on to steam it.
Soaking really makes a difference and shortens the cooking time.

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sat 13-Jan-18 16:15:45

Basmati: Cook it for 7 minutes instead of 10. Drain in sieve. Put rice back in pan with lid on. Wait 10 minutes. Stir with fork. Voila, perfect rice!

mcreedie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:16:56

50g rice per person. Rinse the rice under the tap. Add to pan with 50g water per person. Simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes with lid on. Take pan off heat and leave lid on for 10 mins until all water is absorbed. Fluff up with fork. Works every time!

everythingstaken123 Sun 14-Jan-18 10:08:50

I cook for 6 minutes - don't take the lid off but be careful not to overboil - and then steam for 6 minutes. Don't take the lid off in all this time. Rice is then perfect.

April45 Tue 16-Jan-18 02:25:38

We do the same as pp’s the steam does the trick! Use basmati rice

DimplesToadfoot Tue 16-Jan-18 02:51:24

I can't cook rice to save my life, I even bought bags of the stuff and spent weekends practicing, but I could never master it, but I was determined not to have to keep buying boil in the bag rice

Eventually I bought a cheap electric rice cooker from Wilkinsons and I haven't looked back, I just follow the instructions and have had perfect rice every time, it also works as a vegetable steamer, so its in use pretty much every day, I couldn't - wouldn't be without it now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now