Talk

Advanced search

Low sugar or savoury snacks for kids

(16 Posts)
Barnyforever Wed 10-Jan-18 09:09:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 10-Jan-18 10:20:02

I often make these Savoury flapjacks, they are pretty nutrient dense and keep well.
Roasted paprika chickpeas also make a good snack.

BeyondThePage Wed 10-Jan-18 10:22:01

popcorn is a good one.

sprinkle with a little paprika, or some seeds.

My 2 still love paprika popcorn and they are 15 and 17 now.

Barnyforever Wed 10-Jan-18 10:56:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
BeyondThePage Wed 10-Jan-18 11:09:12

We also had marmite sandwiches, chunks of cheese,

cheesy breadsticks - we have a breadmaker and use a Wrights' packet mix - add half a block of cheese when it has made the dough, then pull off chunks and make roughly stick shaped and bake.

Blondie83 Wed 10-Jan-18 11:33:13

You should try the snacks at chewymoon! I just got them for my boys and they love them. they're full of natural sugars so they dont have any of that crap in sweets and chocolate. the boxes get sent straight to your door so its stress free which is great for me!

SandLand Wed 10-Jan-18 11:42:39

Cheese and crackers.
Cheese and grapes.
Whole boiled egg??
Sweetcorn fritters (drop scone recipe with some sweet corn chucked in before cooking, almost certainly could have other veg included - freeze, and put frozen in a container for them to take to school).
If you find muffins they like, you can freeze and send to school frozen.

gingerclementine Wed 10-Jan-18 11:50:42

I roast a chicken and then slice off chunks of cold chicken. They love it. Healthy, quick. You could stuff it into mini pitas if you don't want them to get greasy fingers.

Crackers sandwiched together with peanut butter or cream cheese

Cheese straws - though if they're not keen on scones they may not like those either

I make no-bake brownies with just dates, very dark melted chocolate and ground almonds with a few drops of vanilla or almond or orange essence. They are chewy and delicious. Dates have lots of sugar of course, but fibre and vitamins too so healthier than processed sugar.

minimoonumbertwo Wed 10-Jan-18 13:06:29

Ooh watching with interest! Some great ideas here. Do you have the recipe for the date brownies gingerclementine? Thanks

FluffyWuffy100 Wed 10-Jan-18 21:50:40

@AtleastitsnotMonday those savoury flapjacks look amazing!

Ricekrispie22 Thu 11-Jan-18 06:42:28

Cocktail sausages
Rice cakes
Half a bagel spread with cream cheese
Those mini pots of houmous with carrot
The mini pots of Philadelphia with bread sticks
Homemade sausage rolls
Mini quiches and frittatas

When the kids are at home I make them instant cuppa porridge with a splash of sugar free Crusha.

everythingstaken123 Sun 14-Jan-18 10:25:30

Hemsley and Hemsley do some really great snacks with very little sugar. There is a recipe for banana bread that has 2tbsp of maple syrup in the whole loaf. There is also a recipe for black bean brownies that is really good (very intense chocolate flavour so quite rich for small dc's). Lots of other delicious recipes too. I really recommend them for low sugar recipes that work brilliantly. (The Art of Eating Well being where those two recipes are from. I have the other book but haven't made so many snacks out of it).

gingerclementine Sun 14-Jan-18 11:27:30

minimoo - I use 200g ground almonds or ground cashews or a bit of the two, 200g dates - stick them in a blender together with a dessertspoon of OJ and half a teaspoon of either almond, vanilla or orange essence and mix until they're a smooth paste. If it's too dry, like crumbs, (depends how juicy the dates are) add a tiny splash more OJ, but it should be a very thick sticky mixture, not wet. Melt 200g very dark chocolate in the microwave.
Mix the two together then line a baking tray with cling film and press the mixture into it. Cool, cut into squares. Dead easy.

minimoonumbertwo Tue 16-Jan-18 16:32:09

Thanks so much gingerclementine - I'll let you know how I get on with those!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 20-Jan-18 08:31:18

Just place marking as the cricket season will be on us soon and DS is growing like a weed.

kateandme Sat 20-Jan-18 21:18:57

tortilla wrap pinweels.
mini frittata and carrot and potato fritters
little tupperwares of pasta salad.
little pots of couscous salad
roasted veg skwers
fruit skewers
rice in pitta pocket.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in