Talk

Advanced search

Incapable of making a salad dressing!

(12 Posts)
Thatsnotmybody Tue 09-Jan-18 18:02:59

Trying to eat more fruit and veg, usual thing. Made a lovely big salad to go with lunch and tried to make a salad dressing - olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of mustard. Somehow always comes out both sour and bland. Hate the shop bought ones because they're so sweet. What am I doing wrong??? Help please!

OP’s posts: |
LadyPenelopeCantDance Tue 09-Jan-18 18:10:51

Balsamic glaze is your friend. Doesn’t need anything else!

8FencingWire Tue 09-Jan-18 18:13:25

I put garlic, olive oil, mustard seeds and balsamic vinegar. Give it a good good shake. It’s good immediately afger preparing, the next day is even better.
HTH

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Tue 09-Jan-18 18:18:15

What oil and vinegar did you use? I use sunflower and white wine, 4tbsp vinegar to 150mL oil with 2-3 teaspoons Dijon mustard and freshly ground salt and pepper. It’s easy to adjust after tasting.

JellyTeapot Tue 09-Jan-18 18:19:39

Two parts extra virgin olive oil to one part vinegar (balsamic, red wine, white wine , sherry etc), add salt, pepper and a good dollop of mustard to thicken, give it all a thorough shake in an old jam jar. Never fails!

Nemesia Tue 09-Jan-18 18:34:54

I use sesame oil and soy sauce with a squeeze of lime juice.

Thatsnotmybody Tue 09-Jan-18 19:58:19

Great ideas, thanks. Think I'm using the wrong vinegar (malt) and putting too much in, about 50/50 with the oil. Will experiment with the ideas above!

OP’s posts: |
MsHippo Tue 09-Jan-18 21:58:11

The simplest answer is posh wine or cider vinegar! I by heinously expensive red wine vinegar which is delicious alone. Generally I just dress with a slosh of that, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper straight into the salad and it's very nice.

MsHippo Tue 09-Jan-18 22:50:12

*buy!!

bombcyclone Tue 09-Jan-18 22:58:12

It's a nightmare unless you mix things in the proper order. Then it's a breeze.

Vinegar (white wine) and mustard (Dijon) first. Whisked together well.

Then, bit by bit, the oil (I use olive), whisking vigorously as you add and slowing/stopping if it starts to separate.

It will emulsify and be lovely if you don't go too quickly with the oil. Truly.

Always thought it was a great mystery. But it's a snap once you get the hang of it.

BigRoundGlasses Tue 09-Jan-18 23:14:48

I do a ratio of 5:1 olive oil: vinegar which is what Delia Smith recipe says I think and balsamic vinegar best IMO smile

Sillybilly1234 Tue 09-Jan-18 23:35:00

Buy Paul Newman's salad dressing. It is the best and not sweet. I normally pour off some of the oil first so more sharp and less fatty / oily.

Also some money goes to charity whenever you buy it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »