Talk

Advanced search

how to fix overnight oats (in the next 20 minutes)

(24 Posts)
IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:33:49

I made overnight oats this morning (I work nights) for the first time thinking I’ll have a scrumptious breakfast for work tonight.
As its the first time I just used a basic recipe, greek yogurt, oats and some blueberries and raspberries.

Anyway, I’ve just tried a spoon and it’s just too sour. It’s also quite dense but I can deal with that. But the sour taste just makes it feel like I’m eating gone off lumpy milk.

I leave for work in 40 mins, any ideas of what I can add to make it taste a bit better?
I only have cows milk in.Off the top of my head, I’ve got honey (which I’m not too keen on tbh) I’ve got some sweet n low, normal and caster sugar and chocolate milk. But I dont know if any of these things will work as a quick fix.
Any ideas appreciated

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:34:45

I should say I normally love greek yogurt and it eat regularly, so not really whats happened here

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:35:44

i should say I normally love greek yogurt which is why I thought Id try this

Braceface Mon 08-Jan-18 21:36:23

I always put milk in mine too when I prepare them. Normally the yoghurt gives it sweetness but honey might help.

Nightmanagerfan Mon 08-Jan-18 21:37:59

Milk and then some caster sugar if you’re not keen on honey? I tried overnight oats but found them too sour like you - though I’ll happily eat the deconstructed parts together.

reallybadidea Mon 08-Jan-18 21:40:16

Yes, I put milk in too, usually the same proportions of milk and yogurt. Normally I put 1/2 tsp of maple syrup in to sweeten. If you've got chocolate milk though I'd probably put a load of that in.

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:43:47

thanks all think ill try milk and then a bit of chocolate milk if that doesn’t work.

Blondie1984 Mon 08-Jan-18 21:44:45

Do you have any bananas? Mashing one of those and stirring it in could help

zzzzz Mon 08-Jan-18 21:47:37

Just add some sugar. Cinnamon if you’re feeling fancy.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 08-Jan-18 21:49:38

I always used to put grated apple in mine.

Nannyplumssillyoldelf Mon 08-Jan-18 21:51:40

I had the same issue when I tried it. Blurgh! It put me right off them and I haven't tried it again.

Rubyroop Mon 08-Jan-18 21:52:10

I normally use honey and put a bit more milk in if it's too thick

Love51 Mon 08-Jan-18 21:54:07

I find cheap natural yoghurt works better than greek as it is less thick. In your shoes I'd add milk. Or even fruit juice. Something wet!

MascaraWanda Mon 08-Jan-18 22:42:51

I put cinnamon in mine. It seems to take away the sourness.

Redpriestandmozart Tue 09-Jan-18 13:32:40

I sort of make overnight oats, I use Lidl's fruit porridge, it has sunflower seeds and chopped fruit in it. I use 1/3 cup of the porridge, 1/4 tsp brown sugar, dash of cinnamon and enough soya milk to just cover it. Sometimes I add 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, that will really thicken it up. I find this keeps me full all morning but you may want to increase the amount as it's not huge.

IntoTheFloodAgain Tue 09-Jan-18 15:34:00

Thanks all, in all honesty I wasn’t keen on the texture or cold oats in the end so I think I’ll stick to warm porridge. It was just a jumping on the bandwagon moment!

FartsMeanHearts Tue 09-Jan-18 15:35:08

Sugar

BoobleMcB Tue 09-Jan-18 15:38:47

Use Muller light or activia or any fat free, flavoured alternative

Rubyroop Wed 10-Jan-18 00:14:41

You can still ear them warm OP. I often heat up my overnight oat if I fancy a warm breakfast

Rubyroop Wed 10-Jan-18 00:14:52

Oats

augustusglupe Wed 10-Jan-18 08:51:53

I use Oats, then quite a lot of Almond milk..it’s available in unsweetened and sweetened. Stir in a couple of spoons of Greek yogurt. Then I put it in the fridge...enough for 5 days. I add raspberries, blueberries or banana, fresh in the morning. Add honey if you want sweetener.

augustusglupe Wed 10-Jan-18 08:56:20

Just read above OP Yes, definitely nothing wrong with good old fashioned porridge!! Or indeed Ready Brek, I still love it and all of a sudden I’m 10 again!! smile

Taffeta Thu 11-Jan-18 08:17:14

Got to have banana in for sweetness if you want to avoid sugar

And milk so the oats puff up

I half fill a jam jar with jumbo oats. Mash a small banana and add that with a few blueberries and raspberries. Then two tbsp plain Greek yoghurt and top up with milk. Stir, screw lid on, shake and refrigerate.

cathf Sat 13-Jan-18 18:10:21

I make mine with oats, apple juice, raisins overnight.
Morning I add a grated apple, some chopped nuts and s dollop of Greek yog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now