Talk

Advanced search

how to fix overnight oats (in the next 20 minutes)

(24 Posts)
IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:33:49

I made overnight oats this morning (I work nights) for the first time thinking I’ll have a scrumptious breakfast for work tonight.
As its the first time I just used a basic recipe, greek yogurt, oats and some blueberries and raspberries.

Anyway, I’ve just tried a spoon and it’s just too sour. It’s also quite dense but I can deal with that. But the sour taste just makes it feel like I’m eating gone off lumpy milk.

I leave for work in 40 mins, any ideas of what I can add to make it taste a bit better?
I only have cows milk in.Off the top of my head, I’ve got honey (which I’m not too keen on tbh) I’ve got some sweet n low, normal and caster sugar and chocolate milk. But I dont know if any of these things will work as a quick fix.
Any ideas appreciated

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:34:45

I should say I normally love greek yogurt and it eat regularly, so not really whats happened here

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:35:44

i should say I normally love greek yogurt which is why I thought Id try this

Braceface Mon 08-Jan-18 21:36:23

I always put milk in mine too when I prepare them. Normally the yoghurt gives it sweetness but honey might help.

Nightmanagerfan Mon 08-Jan-18 21:37:59

Milk and then some caster sugar if you’re not keen on honey? I tried overnight oats but found them too sour like you - though I’ll happily eat the deconstructed parts together.

reallybadidea Mon 08-Jan-18 21:40:16

Yes, I put milk in too, usually the same proportions of milk and yogurt. Normally I put 1/2 tsp of maple syrup in to sweeten. If you've got chocolate milk though I'd probably put a load of that in.

IntoTheFloodAgain Mon 08-Jan-18 21:43:47

thanks all think ill try milk and then a bit of chocolate milk if that doesn’t work.

Blondie1984 Mon 08-Jan-18 21:44:45

Do you have any bananas? Mashing one of those and stirring it in could help

zzzzz Mon 08-Jan-18 21:47:37

Just add some sugar. Cinnamon if you’re feeling fancy.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 08-Jan-18 21:49:38

I always used to put grated apple in mine.

Nannyplumssillyoldelf Mon 08-Jan-18 21:51:40

I had the same issue when I tried it. Blurgh! It put me right off them and I haven't tried it again.

Rubyroop Mon 08-Jan-18 21:52:10

I normally use honey and put a bit more milk in if it's too thick

Love51 Mon 08-Jan-18 21:54:07

I find cheap natural yoghurt works better than greek as it is less thick. In your shoes I'd add milk. Or even fruit juice. Something wet!

MascaraWanda Mon 08-Jan-18 22:42:51

I put cinnamon in mine. It seems to take away the sourness.

Redpriestandmozart Tue 09-Jan-18 13:32:40

I sort of make overnight oats, I use Lidl's fruit porridge, it has sunflower seeds and chopped fruit in it. I use 1/3 cup of the porridge, 1/4 tsp brown sugar, dash of cinnamon and enough soya milk to just cover it. Sometimes I add 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, that will really thicken it up. I find this keeps me full all morning but you may want to increase the amount as it's not huge.

IntoTheFloodAgain Tue 09-Jan-18 15:34:00

Thanks all, in all honesty I wasn’t keen on the texture or cold oats in the end so I think I’ll stick to warm porridge. It was just a jumping on the bandwagon moment!

FartsMeanHearts Tue 09-Jan-18 15:35:08

Sugar

BoobleMcB Tue 09-Jan-18 15:38:47

Use Muller light or activia or any fat free, flavoured alternative

Rubyroop Wed 10-Jan-18 00:14:41

You can still ear them warm OP. I often heat up my overnight oat if I fancy a warm breakfast

Rubyroop Wed 10-Jan-18 00:14:52

Oats

augustusglupe Wed 10-Jan-18 08:51:53

I use Oats, then quite a lot of Almond milk..it’s available in unsweetened and sweetened. Stir in a couple of spoons of Greek yogurt. Then I put it in the fridge...enough for 5 days. I add raspberries, blueberries or banana, fresh in the morning. Add honey if you want sweetener.

augustusglupe Wed 10-Jan-18 08:56:20

Just read above OP Yes, definitely nothing wrong with good old fashioned porridge!! Or indeed Ready Brek, I still love it and all of a sudden I’m 10 again!! smile

Taffeta Thu 11-Jan-18 08:17:14

Got to have banana in for sweetness if you want to avoid sugar

And milk so the oats puff up

I half fill a jam jar with jumbo oats. Mash a small banana and add that with a few blueberries and raspberries. Then two tbsp plain Greek yoghurt and top up with milk. Stir, screw lid on, shake and refrigerate.

cathf Sat 13-Jan-18 18:10:21

I make mine with oats, apple juice, raisins overnight.
Morning I add a grated apple, some chopped nuts and s dollop of Greek yog

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: