Talk

Advanced search

Porridge/oats/oatmeal

(6 Posts)
OuchBollocks Fri 05-Jan-18 16:52:39

This is a bit embarrassing but can someone explain the difference in them to me? I have jumbo oats and unflavoured oatso simple in my cupboard, are any of them any use for making cookies, biscuits, flapjacks? Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Fri 05-Jan-18 19:36:01

Oats are the main ingredient in porridge. 'Porridge oats' are oat grains that have been hulled and rolled. Porridge refers the outcome of heating milk and oats until the mixture thickens. Oatmeal is another term for porridge oats.
Both oat so simple and jumbo oats would work in baking, but I'd go for oat so simple for a finer consistency.

OuchBollocks Fri 05-Jan-18 19:44:03

That's fab, thank you. I thought maybe oatmeal was ground right down like ready brek. Oatmeal cookies for the children tomorrow!

PeanutButterIsEverything Fri 05-Jan-18 20:03:30

Just to be pedantic, oatmeal in the UK is/are generally small pinhead shaped oats, not the flat rolled oats we buy as porridge oats. Not that easy to get here but I do buy it sometimes in small bags for making parkin. In America and Canada porridge oats are just called 'oatmeal' while what we call oatmeal is referred to as 'steel cut oats'. I think! Jumbo oats are just big rolled oats grin

OuchBollocks Fri 05-Jan-18 20:39:08

Confused again confused

Cheekyandfreaky Fri 05-Jan-18 20:47:41

I saw this: www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355 helpful?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »