Talk

Advanced search

Which food processor? A very specific question...

(22 Posts)
AnnPerkins Wed 03-Jan-18 13:42:29

I've read all the old threads asking for recommendations and still can't make up my mind...I want a food processor that slices cabbage for coleslaw without the leaves getting caught up and folded under. I will also use it for making cakes and whipping cream.

I want it to look nice sitting on the worktop, preferably with its own storage for blades etc.

I will buy it from John Lewis because I have a £100 voucher and am happy to add up to £100 to that.

Can anyone recommend something for me please?

OP’s posts: |
JaneEyre70 Wed 03-Jan-18 13:47:59

DH bought me a Kitchen Aid one, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. It's great for pastry, cakes, and whipping and veg is ok to shred though cleaning the blades is a bit of a bitch. There are a lot of parts to it though, and it takes up a lot of storage for them - I've got them all in a big plastic tub. It's fairly compact out on the worktop if you've got the height to store it with the gubbins on - mine doesn't fit under our cupboards with the lid on.

AnnPerkins Wed 03-Jan-18 15:19:27

Thanks Jane. Which model is it?

JaneEyre70 Wed 03-Jan-18 15:38:34

www.kitchenaid.co.uk/p/food-processor/food-processor/kitchenaid-2.1-l-food-processor-5kfp0925/859720515000

Mine's in the cream colour. Think it was around £129 in Waitrose but that was last year?

AnnPerkins Wed 03-Jan-18 15:55:00

Ooh thanks Jane. I've just found it on the JL website. The cream is £149 but the black is only £135 at the moment.

I'm going to measure the space between my cupboard and worktop tonight before I make a decision.

JaneEyre70 Wed 03-Jan-18 16:11:25

Very sensible. I've got a very old and battered Kitchen Aid mixer too, and think the processor is miles better for pastry and biscuit dough.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 03-Jan-18 16:12:18

Magimix?

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 03-Jan-18 16:28:44

Looking at this:

https://m.johnlewis.com/magimix-4200xl-blendermix-food-processor/cream/p1958401

3catsandcounting Thu 04-Jan-18 18:37:00

I've just yesterday bought a Nutri Ninja Kitchen System. It's a food processor/blender/nutri-bullet all in one.

So far I've only tried slicing onions and chopping carrots, also made a gorgeous smoothie in seconds.

Apparently it's good for pastry, cakes, batters, and has a dough blade. Also salsas, coleslaws, dips and sauces and lots more.

It's very sturdy - £135 in Currys.

AnnPerkins Fri 05-Jan-18 09:30:28

The Magimix is much more expensive than the Kitchen Aid; which does make me think it is much better because Kitchen Aids are never underpriced are they? I don't think I can stretch to £259 though.

Does a Nutri Ninja also mix cakes and pastry etc? I would use the Kitchen Aid for that too.

I've measured under my cupboards and the KA will fit.

Thank you all for your help. I think I'll just go and read all the Good Housekeeping reviews before I make a final decision...

PasstheStarmix Fri 05-Jan-18 09:33:14

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/food-and-drink-preparation/food-mixers/kenwood-multione-khh321si-stand-mixer-silver-10139611-pdt.html?store=2864&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mlmrwilml&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0130%20(PLA)%20SDA%20Food%20Preperation%20wk43%20-%20TV%20Deals%20&%20Key%20Lines~Food%20Preperation%20TV%20Deals%20&%20Key%20Lines~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700028304547281&PLA=1&tgtid=0130%20(PLA)%20SDA%20Food%20Preperation%20wk43%20-%20TV%20Deals%20&%20Key%20Lines&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIidzxgsLA2AIVDhIbCh3H-w5cEAQYAiABEgIUDvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one does everything and it's one sale £100 off!

PasstheStarmix Fri 05-Jan-18 09:33:21

on*

Wandastartup Fri 05-Jan-18 09:39:21

DH bought me the magimix for Christmas. I was paralysed with choice so he went to our local independent shop & took their advice. It has a 30 year guarantee. So far I have only ground coffee in it but it looks good!

Cakescakescakes Fri 05-Jan-18 09:42:22

I had a magimix and found it over rated. Yes it was ok at everything but it was a real pain to clean or to do small quantities of anything. It was no better than the cheaper food processor I had before.

3catsandcounting Fri 05-Jan-18 10:26:23

OP - the Nutri Ninja would mix cake batter and whip cream etc, but I think most cake makers (I'm not one) would agree that a stand mixer would provide much more air than any processor bowl ever would.
No problem with making pastry though.

That Kenwood system from Currys is a very good buy!

PasstheStarmix Fri 05-Jan-18 10:42:17

I know I'm tempted to buy it myself but have a very expensive 10 month old!!

AnnPerkins Fri 05-Jan-18 12:42:23

Oh no! Too much choice!! grin

I have to get it from John Lewis because I have a £100 voucher. I read a review for the KA which said it was rubbish at slicing cabbage for coleslaw, which is something I definitely need it to do. Will procrastinate for a while longer I think.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Fri 05-Jan-18 12:45:48

My mum had a magimix growing up & it lasted forever. I guess the point is you won't have to replace it as soon.

3catsandcounting Sat 06-Jan-18 21:58:49

Ann - would you like me to experiment with a bit of cabbage-slicing with my Nutri Ninja?!grin

AnnPerkins Mon 08-Jan-18 10:21:22

Hi 3cats. That would be very helpful, thank you! Only when you're next making coleslaw, kimchi or sauerkraut though, don't go to any trouble grin

RiskIt4Biscuit Mon 08-Jan-18 16:06:34

I had a KitchenAid food processor and now have a Magimix.

I have been far happier with the Magimix. It works so well, is easy to clean, quality is great and there's just nothing to complain about.
My parents have had a Magimix for years and they love it - they use their far more than I use mine, and they have never had an issue with theirs.

The KitchenAid bowl cracked after a few years - and I didn't use the KA food processor that much. To replace the KA bowl would have cost a fortune.
I generally don't rate KA - I have a mixer as well, and it's pretty, but terrible quality.

quince2figs Tue 09-Jan-18 22:03:10

Traditionalist here - I have the Kitchenaid XL size. About 7-8 years old now and like new. Used often, and is superb at slicing veg for coleslaw, dauphinoise, chopping veg, making pastry/cookies in seconds, grating, mixing, all-in-one cakes, bread and pasta dough mixing, breadcrumbs...
Easy to clean and extremely sturdy.
Blade not yet needed sharpening.
Downsides: not so good for incorporating air (whipped cream, Victoria sponge, whisked sponge) or prolonged bread dough kneading. I have a cheap mixer fro Aldi for this, which is more than enough... mostly use a hand mixer instead.
Doesn’t liquidise as smooth as a blender - but again use a £5 stick blender, quicker too.
Sorry to confuse you, but very highly recommend MM

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »