Talk

Advanced search

Dessert ideas?

(10 Posts)
dkb15164 Thu 28-Dec-17 23:33:58

Been invited over for New Year's Day dinner at inlaws, having steak pie and volunteered to bring dessert for what will be 5 of us. Any ideas for what I should make? Impressive but easy is best.

OP’s posts: |
LockedOutOfMN Thu 28-Dec-17 23:35:19

Something light after steak pie, maybe a lemon posset with fresh raspberries?

dkb15164 Thu 28-Dec-17 23:37:04

About a 15 minute drive to their place, do you think the posset would hold for the ride or melt?

LockedOutOfMN Thu 28-Dec-17 23:49:39

Should be fine, just make sure they've been well chilled at home in advance. Put them on a tray in your fridge then take the whole tray in the car and advise the hosts to leave space for it in their fridge.

LemonysSnicket Fri 29-Dec-17 00:37:43

Self-saucing banana pudding from Good Food magazine x

Blondie1984 Fri 29-Dec-17 01:54:05

Pavlova - I would top it with mango and pomegranate seeds

OwlDoll Fri 29-Dec-17 02:40:52

Mary Berry's chocolate roulade. Looks impressive but very easy to make and is quite light.

Ricekrispie22 Fri 29-Dec-17 10:06:51

Simple. Impressive. Winner every time www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9653/luscious-lemon-baked-cheesecake

dkb15164 Fri 29-Dec-17 13:51:05

I've been recommended Mary Berry's chocolate roulade before so I think that could be a safe bet as I believe DP gets his chocolate obsession from his DD. I like the sound of lemon cheesecake but I'm afraid I've used up the last of my gran's lemon curd a few weeks ago and wouldn't be sure which supermarket brand is good - I'll have a look in the big co-op near my flat to see if they have one. Thanks for all your help guys!

kateandme Fri 29-Dec-17 16:28:50

pavalova.or easier eaton mess.making it look fancier/smarter by putting them into idicual little pots or ramekins.and layering the mirange sauce,cream fruit.this way you could try to version with a chocolate,caramel mess too.we did this and did half a dozen fruit.mirangue,fruit drizzle cream in layers in little jam jars.and then did a choc buttons,revels,crushed maltesrer,caramel sauce,cream,crushed mirangue in layers.worked really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »