Talk

Advanced search

Cheese use by dates

(7 Posts)
Dodie66 Tue 26-Dec-17 21:44:38

I bought a big mixed pack of cheeses for Christmas with a use by date of the 2nd Jan. there was Brie and a cheese with fruit in it but the other cheeses were Stilton, Red Leicester, Edam, cheddar etc. Do you think the short use by date only applies to the soft cheeses. I usually keep cheddars etc a lot longer and am not going to be able to use them all by the use by date

OP’s posts: |
TwitterQueen1 Tue 26-Dec-17 21:48:46

It is not the law that you have to eat all these by 2nd January. Common sense has quite a large role to play here. Of course you can safely go past this date - for all of them.

ILoveTheEU Tue 26-Dec-17 21:49:43

The hard cheeses keep until they go mouldy.
Soft cheese doesn't keep well at all, eat that up quick.

Dodie66 Tue 26-Dec-17 23:32:45

Thanks 😃 the soft one will be used. I know it’s not the law Twitter, just thought I would ask other people’s opinion

TyneTeas Tue 26-Dec-17 23:33:59

Cheese is freezable

Dodie66 Wed 27-Dec-17 21:42:54

Thanks 🙂

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 29-Dec-17 15:38:31

Cheese lasts for ages after the date.

Brie will probably be fine for some time after the 2nd. If it's not all oozy it's not even ready to eat.

Freeze some of the hard cheese. Wrap any you keep in the fridge well if not vacuum packed. Remember that if there is any mould you can just cut it off and eat the rest. Cheese is matured for months if not more so a few weeks here and there is nothing.

I once ate Feta that was 8 months out of date and it was absolutely fine. In an Allegra McEvity cookbook she talks about using the last of her cheese wedding cake on her first anniversary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »