Talk

Advanced search

icing sugar

(36 Posts)
jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 16:13:35

Hi,
I recently moved in uk.
Can anybody suggest me which is good icing sugar in here to use for buttercream.as i am a vegetarian i only can make american buttercream.here i found only silver spoon icing sugar..two times o made..it were gritty both the time...
i beat so long..but it was still gritty..
pls suggest...

ButtonLoon Mon 25-Dec-17 16:22:41

I've never had gritty icing sugar. How is American buttercream different?

ButtonLoon Mon 25-Dec-17 16:23:19

PS am also an immigrant from America so really confused by the terminology!

twinone Mon 25-Dec-17 16:24:19

Did you sieve it?
It can make lumpy buttercream if not sieves.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 16:35:15

ohh i meant that american buttercream is with no eggs..so i tried to make it..as swiss or italian..these have eggs in receipe...
yes i sifted it...

holidayparkquestion Mon 25-Dec-17 16:41:30

Eggs in buttercream?! I am English and just mix icing sugar and butter to get buttercream. No lumps if mixed well - yum!

Polly99 Mon 25-Dec-17 16:45:57

There’s Swiss and Italian meringue.
I’m confused about what you have made - can you post the ingredients?

ButtonLoon Mon 25-Dec-17 16:47:06

If you can't have eggs, do you mean you are vegan and not using butter? Your choice of fat could be causing the trouble!

RandomUsernameHere Mon 25-Dec-17 16:57:16

Same as Holiday, I only ever mix butter and icing sugar to make buttercream. I've used silver spoon and various supermarket own brands and never had a problem.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 16:59:45

i made with butter,icing sigar,vanilla extract and little milk to make smooth...it was creamy as i beat so long,first alone butter(i used lurpak),then mixing icing sugar little by little...it was creamy soft,but grainy..i can taste sugar crystal in my mouth..i am really confused where i did wrong...

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Dec-17 17:01:30

Icing sugar isn't gritty. Are you sure you aren't using caster sugar or granulated sugar?

To make buttercream use 2:1 icing sugar to butter. Make sure the butter is at room temperature and really soft. Add a drop of milk if required. Once you have mixed the sugar and butter together keep beating for a few more minutes until really creamy.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 17:22:27

i did that only...its icing sugar..silver spoon icing sugar i used...i beat so long..it was creamy...but gritty...dont know where i did wrong...both times ...

VforVienetta Mon 25-Dec-17 20:44:50

What colour was the packet OP?
Icing sugar is usually in bright pink and white paper packets.
I have never encountered gritty icing sugar! What country are you from?
Icing sugar is the same as confectioners sugar/powdered sugar in the US.

DrRisotto Mon 25-Dec-17 20:49:57

Was the icing sugar really old and had gone lumpy? Needed sieving? I don't understand it I must say. Icing sugar is such a light powder I struggle to keep it from disappearing in a puff of sweet cloud. Now I have tried to make buttercream with caster sugar before and that was gritty.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 20:55:16

yes its the white and pink coloured one with blue writing..silver spoon icing sugar..the fresh packet just bought new...sifted twice...yes its so light,it was flying here and there...but still my buttercream both time became gritty...very creamy and light..nice in colour...but gritty in taste...

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 20:56:26

here is the pic i have made...

VforVienetta Mon 25-Dec-17 21:07:44

Good ol' Google has a couple of suggestions:

You may have beaten it for too long, something to do with the air pockets.

Your ingredients may have been too cold.

It could be that Silver Spoon is beet sugar not cane sugar. Apparently powdered cane sugar gives a better texture.

Foggymist Mon 25-Dec-17 21:54:37

I find icing sugar gritty when used to make buttercream, can't eat it at all, it's disgustingly sweet and gritty as mentioned! I make Swiss Meringue Buttercream. So you're vegetarian, won't use eggs but will use butter?

cantthinkofabloodyname Mon 25-Dec-17 21:56:49

Silver spoon icing sugar has been made notorious on cake forums recently, as they have changed the anti caking agent in it. I would suggest going for Tate & Lyle over Silver Spoon.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 22:08:58

yes i eat dairy product,but dont eat egg,fish & meat..is there any other receipe for buttercream without eggs...is Tate & Lyle icing sugar good???

holidayparkquestion Mon 25-Dec-17 22:16:32

No one puts eggs in buttercream do they?!

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Dec-17 22:19:06

Buttercream is just butter and icing sugar with a little bit of milk. I have never used eggs in buttercream.

I have just checked my icing sugar and it is Tate and Lyle. My buttercream is never gritty.

Ameliablue Mon 25-Dec-17 22:27:02

I generally find silver spoon to be fine but Tate and Lyle can be gritty. Whitworths is normally very fine.

jyotigupta Mon 25-Dec-17 22:34:10

In meringue buttercream eggs are used right???omg...then what to use?? Tate Lyle or silver spoon??🤔

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Dec-17 23:17:55

If you aren't from the UK maybe you find our icing sugar gritty compared to what you are used to. If you have a food processor perhaps you could whizz the sugar in that to make it finer.

I can honestly say that no brand I have used is gritty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »