Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Turkey Gravy

(11 Posts)
myrtleWilson Thu 21-Dec-17 12:11:56

Am cooking turkey for first time this Christmas and am still flip flopping between Nigella's brined turkey or shed loads of butter and roast.
If I go down the brining route the turkey juices won't really work well for the gravy so was going to do a mash up of Jamie's get ahead gravy (using chicken wings to give roasting flavour) but throwing in the turkey giblets etc too... or does this sound like a bad idea? Am picking up turkey and porchetta on Saturday so would do the gravy either Saturday night or Sunday morning to get it out the way...

OP’s posts: |
Scrowy Thu 21-Dec-17 12:21:32

I always think people over complicate turkey gravy.

We do ours with 2 cans of cider, 2 knorr veg stock pots, a dollop of red currant jelly and then 2 cans of cider worth of water just in the tray with the turkey when it goes into the the oven.

Tip it all out into a pan about about half an hour before you take the turkey out (we let our turkey rest while everything else is cooking but I know lots don't)

Skim as much fat off as you can and then just let it boil/simmer away on the hob to reduce a bit. Finally add a bit of cornflour dissolved in cold water to thicken.

Fffion Thu 21-Dec-17 12:22:22

I make my gravy from giblet stock.

AmethystRaven Thu 21-Dec-17 12:25:27

Last year I did Delia Smith's. It took ages and I ended up with 3/4 of a gravy boat full i.e. not enough. It was very nice though, apparently! Had to make extra bisto so everyone got gravy.

just5morepeas Thu 21-Dec-17 12:28:34

I like Bisto's Turkey gravy . . .

* misses point *

SillyBub Thu 21-Dec-17 12:37:31

My chicken gravy for Monday is in the freezer. I made it from the last carcass of roast chicken I made. If I hadn't done this, I'd definitely be making Jamie's Make Ahead gravy, it's pretty much the same idea as what I make from the carcass. I just don't have the room/time to make it on Christmas Day, especially as I like to use the bones to get the most flavour.

Alwaysatyke Thu 21-Dec-17 12:41:04

Giblet stock alone will be grand, even better if you cut the wings off the turkey and add those in too. The roasting juices are a nice extra touch but it'll work without them of that's not an option

myrtleWilson Thu 21-Dec-17 12:42:19

so if I make the get ahead gravy would you add the turkey giblets to the pan (with the chicken wings/veg/herbs) and then add water, or make up a turkey giblet stock and had that to the pan with the chicken wings/veg/herbs.... basically can you fry giblets is what I think I'm not sure of?!

scrowy - I can't really add to the turkey cooking tray as its been brined but otherwise I do try to keep gravy's simple!

myrtleWilson Thu 21-Dec-17 12:45:59

Phew - have found a Nigel Slater one which is make in advance with giblets, chicken wings, porcini, veg etc so I'll use this one! considers going back to beef next year

MsHippo Thu 21-Dec-17 14:38:17

You will definitely be able to use the juices even if you brine it! They'll just be lovely and tasty!

LesLavandes Fri 22-Dec-17 07:41:27

The Jamie Oliver make in advance gravy was fantastic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »