Talk

Advanced search

Hogmanay Dinner / NYD Lunch

(9 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Dec-17 07:41:17

I’ve overstretched myself and overcommitted at NY. I’ve got 6 other adults coming for dinner on Hogmanay, so I was thinking canapés, duck and a cold pudding. These same people will stay late, and more people will arrive after the bells, so I’ll have bacon rolls and soup I think. That’s all fine, but it will be a v late night, and then I have 12 coming for (late) lunch on NYD!

They’re all family, so I don’t need to impress them, but I need a crowd pleaser I can prepare ahead. My mum won’t eat anything remotely spicy, so bear that in mind. I also don’t like steak pie, so I’m breaking with tradition. I was thinking a nice ham and baked pots, but what to do with it? Help!

OP’s posts: |
CrabappleCake Mon 18-Dec-17 07:45:56

Do a red cabbage side, I’d buy it, but you could make now and freeze. Or do cauli cheese. I’d have with a salad and coleslaw, Jamie Oliver has a great winter veg coleslaw. I’m always craving fresh by then.

AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Dec-17 07:56:51

I was thinking coleslaw and then I wondered if ham, potato and coleslaw was a bit dull. But it will be delicious ham, and posh coleslaw. wink

Blondie1984 Tue 19-Dec-17 02:25:31

You could do Nigellas ham cooked in coke - it's divine

AgentProvocateur Tue 19-Dec-17 06:01:57

That’s the one I’m doing, but I’m doing it in Irn Bru, which is even nicer than the coke one!

CrabappleCake Tue 19-Dec-17 07:57:06

Coke in Iran bru...that works?

worriedaboutchristmas Tue 19-Dec-17 07:59:12

That ^ is the most Scottish sentence I've ever read ! Love it.

I think ham potatoes and coleslaw sounds great, but I will confess to being hammed out by new year. I always do one for Christmas and or Boxing Day and will have been eating its leftovers for days.

Are there other pie options? Chicken and leek? Raised game?

AgentProvocateur Tue 19-Dec-17 21:53:52

@crabapplecake - it totally works. It doesn’t taste like Irn Bru, but you get that sweetness.

Thanks for the pie suggestion, but I’m
not a huge pie fan (a very un-Scottish sentence wink) and it will be the only ham of the season

sacgonflable Tue 19-Dec-17 21:56:13

I like Savoy cabbage cooked in cream.
the guardian has a recipe "suspiciously delicious cabbage" which is AMAZING.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »