Talk

Advanced search

Best Italian cookbook with everyday recipes

(12 Posts)
elliej83 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:37:25

I want to buy an Italian cookbook for a present for someone but not one that’s going to have a million and one ingredients. Something that you could make for a weekday tea inside. Don’t mind a little complex but some of them get ridiculous. Any favourites?

OP’s posts: |
PerfumeIsAMessage Sun 17-Dec-17 19:39:51

Diane Seed's 100 pasta recipes.

It's not sexy, there are no photos, but every dish is quick, authentic, and works.

HeyMuggins Sun 17-Dec-17 19:40:05

Jamie's Italy
Nigella: Kitchen and/or Simply Nigella
Marcella Hazan for proper proper!

Jeanvaljean27 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:45:50

Stick with the classics.

Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classical Italian Cookery.

Claudia Roden's The Food of Italy.

Or the book every Italian mother gives her daughter on her wedding day, The Silver Spoon (published by phaidon in the UK).

HeyMuggins Sun 17-Dec-17 19:47:59

Argh curse you OP. Now I have to add The Silver Spoon to my already overflowing Amazon basket grin

worriedaboutchristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 23:15:42

I don't rate Jamie's Italy AT ALL. I'm sorry, but the man is so wedded to chillis that I can only presume he has shares in the market. And I say that as a chilli lover.

I second the silver spoon as the actual giftable tome that the Italians would approve of, but also this http://antonio-carluccio.co.uk/books/two-greedy-italians/ greedy Italians book- the gnocchi, pasta and chicken dumpling soup are sublime and the book depicts a modern Italy with genuine, easy to follow recipes.

TheOriginalNNB Sun 17-Dec-17 23:17:29

The Silver Spoon

No idea who it’s by but we have it. It’s a mahoosive hardback with literally hundreds of recipes. Some easy, some more complex. All gorgeous.

Would make a great gift (prob £20+ though)

TheOriginalNNB Sun 17-Dec-17 23:18:18

Massive cross post there, soz!

Crispbutty Sun 17-Dec-17 23:19:23

I use a lot of Gino d’acampo recipes and his books are easy to follow

Zhx3 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:23:38

This is one that I bought in Italy, which has been translated. I really like it! It is a pasta cookbook, though. I'm not sure the links are working, copy and paste if not!

www.abebooks.co.uk/Recipes-Pasta-Italian-Cuisine-Paperback/17668480922/bd

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 17-Dec-17 23:26:26

Another vote for the Silver Spoon. It is literally brilliant.

frenchfancy Mon 18-Dec-17 11:04:48

I'm not a great fan of the Silver Spoon - yes it has loads of recipes but there is no text to go with them, no serving suggestions or - this is easy for a Friday night. It is certainly not where I would turn to for an easy midweek meal.

That said I don't have a perfect italian book to recommend, but am always on the lookout. I've just put Ginos Italian escape on my wishlist.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »