Talk

Advanced search

Making your own high protein/Greek yoghurt

(4 Posts)
LavenderTrug Thu 14-Dec-17 08:28:06

I've been buying Fage/Skyr for the past couple of years and get through 1-2 tubs a week. So I'm thinking it must be cheaper to make my own and it would reduce the amount of plastic I'm using.

I've looked at yoghurt makers, but what I don't understand is what makes a yoghurt high protein? And how do I achieve that at home?

I know that straining yoghurt makes it thicker and therefore 'Greek' but I thought that the protein was in the whey which is then a by-product if you strain it. Surely you would want to eat that as well if that's where the protein is?

I'm confused, so if anyone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful.

OP’s posts: |
LavenderTrug Thu 14-Dec-17 14:36:04

Bump

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Fri 15-Dec-17 09:41:46

It contains some but the whey is 95% water
Have you considered an EasiYo?

moggle Sun 17-Dec-17 09:07:22

The yoghurt still has way has more protein than the whey. They make Greek or other high protein yoghurt just by straining it. It's time consuming hence why it's expensive.
For me I mainly like the taste and texture I don't particularly need the protein so I buy the 1kg tubs of Lancashire farm Greek style yoghurt from Morrisons for about £1.50.
I do have an easiyo but the "Greek" yoghurt isn't as thick as Fage or any higher in protein than regular yoghurt. Plus it's very hit and miss in the cold weather. Still nice though and definitely reduces our plastic pot output!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »