Talk

Advanced search

Halloumi type burger without the halloumi

(17 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 04-Dec-17 13:35:20

I've made some halloumi so we're having mushroom and halloumi burgers tonight for tea. But DH doesn't like halloumi (or any cheese) so I was wondering what I could put in his burger with the mushroom instead.

I'm thinking along the lines of some kind of vegetable rather than an actual burger, though we're not veggie. Just something in the same vein as the halloumi one.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

Hoppinggreen Mon 04-Dec-17 13:36:35

Chargrilled courgette or aubergine slices?

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 04-Dec-17 13:37:58

A slice of roasted butternut squash?

AdaColeman Mon 04-Dec-17 13:38:54

Fish fingers!

ShowMeTheElf Mon 04-Dec-17 13:39:26

Are you talking about a stuffed field mushroom in a bun? So a big mushroom stuffed with halloumi, then a big mushroom stuffed with something else?
If so, Use sausage meat. Just the meat from one fat sausage squished into the mushroom and baked: the sausage juices will cook the mushroom and it will be delicious!

AdaColeman Mon 04-Dec-17 13:39:53

omelette

kateandme Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:56

fillet of fish.
chickpea and carrot burgers
grated carrot and potato pattie
roast some sweet potato sliced,corugettered onion,peppers put on instead.dc loves the height!

kateandme Mon 04-Dec-17 14:54:31

hash brown
sweetcorn fritters.
cauli and broccoli mash potato burger

PanannyPanoo Mon 04-Dec-17 14:55:30

Roasted pepper

TheSpottedZebra Mon 04-Dec-17 14:56:27

Just a massive garlicky buttery mushroom in a bun.
Really nice on the barbecue, although that's probably not that helpful in December.

OlennasWimple Mon 04-Dec-17 14:57:32

Why not halloumi? If he eats other cheese, grated cheddar is nice melted into a mushroom, or a couple of slices of brie

EduCated Mon 04-Dec-17 14:57:35

Big chunky slice of avocado?

Joinourclub Mon 04-Dec-17 14:58:40

You've made your own halloumi? I'm impressed!

I like mushroom burgers with griddled red pepper or sweet potato. But to be honest, if he doesn't want the cheese I'd probably just give him two mushrooms!

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:51

Not a veg I know but bacon would be good.

Florene Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:47

Falafel

A few roasted cherry tomatoes?

Otherwise though, just the big mushroom and the usual salad stuff will be delicious.

chicaguapa Mon 04-Dec-17 20:26:28

Thanks all. Lots of good ideas. But DH came home with a Cornish pasty! So DS and I each had a big grilled mushroom & a slice of grilled halloumi in a brioche bun with pea shoots and sweet chilli sauce.

Halloumi is quite easy to make and a lot nicer than the shop stuff, so worth the time. You just need some organic blue milk and a bit of rennet. There are lots of YouTube videos showing you how.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now