Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a bread maker?

(31 Posts)
bluesu Sun 03-Dec-17 10:11:19

I really really want fresh bread but I’m crap at baking and I want the easy way out.

Does anyone have a bread maker and would you recommend it? I want a true French style loaf and I want it now !!

I think I must’ve been dreaming about bread.

Tinselistacky Sun 03-Dec-17 10:15:10

I actually gave mine it's Christmas dust yesterday!! Been sat in the pantry for 5 years!!
Promised dh we will use it before Christmas though!!

BlueUggs Sun 03-Dec-17 10:15:33

I do have a bread maker, but I have never made French bread with it....
The bread I have made is LOVELY it make sure you follow the instructions and measurements carefully.
I've got a Panasonic and think they are the best.

KarenW Sun 03-Dec-17 22:24:56

i have a Panasonic one, makes lovely french bread, especially if you can source french bread flour, i get mine at a local deli or on the tinternet

Orangeplastic Sun 03-Dec-17 22:47:48

I have a panasonic - but I thought it was the yeast/culture that makes the French baguette unique.

bluesu Mon 04-Dec-17 07:28:54

Thanks for your replies!

I think I’ll treat myself, just concerned it’ll be another appliance that ends up in the cupboard covered in dust lol

CrabappleCake Mon 04-Dec-17 07:43:02

Used mine loads for five years when had children in the house. Haven’t used it since they left ho,pie and lovely local bakery opened up. You can buy a lot of bread for £100. Or a lot of flour to experiment with home made.

SleepFreeZone Mon 04-Dec-17 07:46:09

I have a Panosonic and use it a lot.

AlternativeTentacle Mon 04-Dec-17 07:50:28

I had one, I used it to make the dough and prove it, and then would tip it out, reknead and shape and then cook it in the oven. I loved it. But no spare for it in the new kitchen design and I now make the dough on my lovely quartz worktop. I'd have another if I had space, and it would be a panasonic, they are the best.

BonnesVacances Mon 04-Dec-17 07:53:40

Having tried a few, I agree Panasonic is the best one.

You have to be around to take it out when it's ready though or it'll go soft. And you have to wait for it to cool before you slice it. So some planning is needed.

We set ours to be ready in the morning, then DH takes it out to cool while making a cup of tea, and it's ready to cut by the time he goes back downstairs for breakfast.

flamingnoravera Mon 04-Dec-17 09:05:26

I was given on by a friend who had upgraded to a Panasonic. I use it loads to make dough for home made flat bread/pitta etc . For French bread you need special flour not usually available in Tesco or local supermarket. I rarely let the machine bake the bread but for dough making it is fab.

WeirdnessOfDoom Mon 04-Dec-17 09:29:38

Flamingo, I just googled French bread, seems like they use bread flour for it which is high protein one. Does it need to be any different that this type?

I have a breadmaker, old Breville one that I use to make the dough for brioche and yeast cakes.

drbrenner Mon 04-Dec-17 09:36:05

Used to have a cheap one (£30ish) from lidl and it was great. Lasted around 2/3 years. You could put it on to cook at 5am and wake up to a perfect warm loaf. Bliss.

flamingnoravera Mon 04-Dec-17 22:26:12

It's t55 flour you need, it creates bigger bubbles of air and crustier crust.

bluesu Tue 05-Dec-17 09:44:24

My new baby!! grin

And I’m about to order some T55

Thanks everyone

malovitt Mon 18-Dec-17 09:28:07

How are you getting on with your breadmaker, OP?

I'm thinking of buying one too but the choice of models is overwhelming! Will get your one if you recommend it?

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Dec-17 09:31:44

If it helps, BlueSu, I also have this model and use it every day. As previous posters have said, I recommend using it for pizza dough, too - that's brilliant fun. Also, not sure exactly which version the OP got but when I got mine there was a slightly more expensive model that had a seed tray and that's been really nice, if you like seedy bread. Wouldn't bother if you just want to do French loaves or ordinary wholemeal or whatever though.

Zoesweet Mon 18-Dec-17 09:36:24

I have a panasonic but seldom use it. It was a gift from my cousin.

Todamhottoday Mon 18-Dec-17 09:41:58

I too have a Panasonic and its about 10 years old, fantasic French bread, but now as a French friend has told me how to do it 'properly' Im going to try the b/m for kneading and then the oven to bake.

Enjoy OP, sorry bit late....

bookbook Mon 18-Dec-17 09:44:06

Enjoy the bread Blue - I use my Panasonic about 3 times a week, and came on to recommend it, miles behind everyone else smile Never done French bread, but I have a packet of T55 from Aldi that I bought to try.

Saladd0dger Mon 18-Dec-17 09:50:02

I love my breadmaker! Can’t beat a nice stew with fresh bead to dunk in it. Also make our pizza dough to. It makes a lovely apple crumble and jams. Mmm I’m hungry now

bluesu Mon 18-Dec-17 12:13:01

Yes I love it!!

@malovitt I 100% recommend this model, so easy. Haven't tried making seedy bread yet but that's on my to do list. Along with pizza dough! 🙌🏼

bluesu Mon 18-Dec-17 12:13:57

@bookbook ALDI SELL T55?!?!?! <jumps in car and screeches down to Aldi>

bookbook Mon 18-Dec-17 12:55:54

yep! - this one - about 2/3 weeks ago mind ....

flamingnoravera Mon 18-Dec-17 23:42:38

I went Aldi today, specifically for T55, no sign of T55. But it was Bedminster in Bristol. Then I tried Lidl and the local deli. Zilch, zero, nada sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now