Talk

Advanced search

How to store cakes so they last longer

(9 Posts)
alexjr Thu 30-Nov-17 21:58:44

I have been storing my cakes in a plastic container for sometime now but they don't seem to last very long before going off. I was thinking of buying a tin or glass container but not sure which would be best. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Blondie1984 Thu 30-Nov-17 23:14:15

I think there are a few factors that have an impact - first of all like you rightly say is what you keep it in - I've never really been a fan of plastic containers so prefer to use a tin and wrap the cake well in clingfilm which i find helps stop them drying out - especially for cake slices. If it's an iced cake then I line my tin in greaseproof paper.

Then I keep the tin somewhere fairly cool - like in a cupboard away from the cooker/oven/dishwasher etc

PrivateParkin Thu 30-Nov-17 23:16:40

Yes I agree re a tin. They seem to be more airtight.

ferrier Thu 30-Nov-17 23:18:56

How can a tin be more airtight than a plastic, tupperware type container?

PigletJohn Fri 01-Dec-17 10:42:01

what sort of cake? A heavy fruit cake can go in the freezer, but I don't know how to keep light cakes from going stale, apart from eating them (best move)

tomatopuree Fri 01-Dec-17 10:43:21

I'm utterly confused. I don't think I have ever had this problem...

Is this real confusedgrin

reallybadidea Fri 01-Dec-17 10:51:25

Lol, I agree, cakes don't last long enough in this house either! I keep mine in a heavy glass cake stand and they keep fine until they're eaten in a few days.

Most cakes can be frozen (in fact a rich fruit cake would normally keep well for months/years in a tin). If you're having problems eating cakes up before they go stale then why not cut in half and freeze one until a later date?

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 01-Dec-17 10:58:19

Pack slices of fresh bread around the cake, wrap in cling film and put it in an airtight container. The bread absorbs all the staleness. My MIL knows everything. You can trust her.

ferrier Fri 01-Dec-17 17:53:02

Sounds good.
My problem with leaving out on the side is when there's cream in them. What to do then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: