Talk

Advanced search

Mince and dumplings?

(5 Posts)
SausagePerfume Thu 30-Nov-17 12:26:49

The family have requested mince and dumplings for tea, sounds easy enough but I've never had it so not sure what consistency etc it should be like.
Does anyone have a foolproof recipe?

kateandme Thu 30-Nov-17 14:29:14

here are a few
www.bakerbe.co.uk/recipes/mince-dumplings/
www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/h/heston_s_traditionalmincedbeefanddumplings.html
I would fry some onion and carrots and celery.softened.add garlic.
add mince and brown.
chuck in some herbs.jar of dolmio.tin tomatos.poss some puree if we have it.worcesshire sauce.stock cube.bisto gravy granules.bubble thicken.
put in oven proof dish.
make dumpling according to suet pack instructions.dollop on top I think this then take 20-30 mins?yum.sometimes add peas or other veggies we have in.
plus we also sometimes make the more naked version which is just more stock and herbie stuff,and leave out dolmio jar and tomatos tin.
go for it I don't think you can muck it up if you have some guidelines -ish.
its yumm.y
we serve with sometimes new potatos.lots of broccoli and peas and cauli green beans etc and horseradish sauce hehe

kateandme Thu 30-Nov-17 14:31:24

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mince_and_dumplings_47431

purits Thu 30-Nov-17 14:35:34

That Waitrose recipe is weird. Who fries dumplings!?shock It only got a two-star review.

Make mince to taste, put in casserole. Make dumplings. Put dumplings on top of mince. Put on CLOSE-FITTING lid. Cook. DO NOT PEEK during cooking time. Trust the dumplings and they will be wondrously light and fluffy; peek and they will be horrible lumpy things.

reallybadidea Thu 30-Nov-17 14:35:43

This is the recipe we use. I usually pop it in the oven at the end with the lid off so that the dumplings go crispy on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now