Talk

Advanced search

Idiot guide to icing biscuits help!

(6 Posts)
fucksakefay Tue 21-Nov-17 20:51:33

DD has to make some biscuits for a charity sale. We've made some rabbit shaped ones
She wants to ice a basic rabbit face on them which as the biscuits are quite small needs to be something that can be done quite delicate fine lines.

I have loads of those icing tip things just never understood how to get them to work with a plastic bag. I snipped a bit off the end of the bag and it wouldn't come out the finest nozzle so I took the nozzle off and then the icing came out too thick to draw anything.

Please tell me in very simple terms what equipment I need and how to do this. I bought an icing pen but it just comes out as black line that looks like she's drawn it on with a pen 😂

OP’s posts: |
parrotonmyshoulder Tue 21-Nov-17 20:56:54

The face sounds a bit tricky. With shaped biscuits, my DD likes to use the same cutter with fondant icing and stick it on. Maybe that could work? Different pastel coloured rabbits would be nice.

Ylvamoon Tue 21-Nov-17 20:58:40

grin think outside the box!

(How old is DD??)

I had this problem once... My solution was to cover the biscuits in chocolate (or icing) and use 100's & 1000's to give the animals eyes, mouth and other decorations... Oh yes tweezers are your friends!!! And yes, your DD might be to small for this but hey mums rock 🎸!!!

PanannyPanoo Tue 21-Nov-17 21:01:50

We did rabbit ones. as pp suggested used the same cutter cut fondant to size.smeared some seedless jam on biscuit to stick fondant on. tiny marshmallow for tail, and used an icing pen to draw the face on.

Aquiver Tue 21-Nov-17 21:06:18

Exactly as @PanannyPanoo - icing pens (also known as writing icing or similar) are better for this kind of task. You can pick these up from Lakeland, but Dr Oetker (available in big supermarkets) also does a line in them.

fucksakefay Tue 21-Nov-17 21:22:42

Ah my DD is 10 so old enough to do the icing I just need to sort the tools! Fondant with the cutter sounds easy.
I'm not sure about hundreds and thousands with tweezers though, it would look great we've got about 50 to do!

I found these icing pens but won't it just look like she's used a felt tip? I've never seen biscuits in real life decorated like this!
www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Edible-Cake-Icing-Decorating/dp/B00FPLCMCS?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Would the link below be any good? I'm afraid of icing bags though I seem to mess it up every time!!
www.amazon.co.uk/Nordic-Ware-1086-Deco-Icing/dp/B004XRR1PI?tag=mumsnetforum-21

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »