Talk

Advanced search

xmas pudding dilemma

(6 Posts)
sippysoppy Mon 20-Nov-17 16:10:08

so, I made delia's xmas pud yesterday, my steamer is small and the bowl only just fitted, once it started steaming and rising the steamer lid got pushed up a bit so the seal wasn't great although the water needed minimal topping up. after 8 hours I put a skewer to test if it was cooked and it came out covered in raw pudding mix although the sides were done. so I put it in a pan of simmering water up to the middle for 2-3 further hours, and the skewer came out clear. it looked lovely and soft and spongy but now its cooled its shrunk back and feels quite hard-is it ruined and overcooked ? do I have to start again?? sorry its my first time making it and its for 8 people!!

OP’s posts: |
4merlyknownasSHD Tue 21-Nov-17 11:36:23

Christmas Puddings are very forgiving things. I am sure, if you feed it, it will keep. Then, of course, you will steam it again before serving and I bet it is delicious.

fitflopqueen Tue 21-Nov-17 11:43:20

Snap also steamed my delia puddings yesterday. Just stab it, splash a bit more rum on it, recover and put away until ready for eating. I make 2 and keep one for the next year, never failed yet.

smilesandsun Sat 25-Nov-17 17:13:29

What pot did you use to steam it in?
- complete novice here!

RosyWelshcakes Sat 25-Nov-17 17:19:34

What pot did you use to steam it in?

The largest pot you have. Just place an upturned bowl or saucer in the bottom of it to place the pudding bowl on and bobs your uncle. Make sure the water in the pot only comes 2/3rds of the way up your pudding bowl when at a boil.

RosyWelshcakes Sat 25-Nov-17 17:21:53

This might help you

www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-steam-pudding

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »