Talk

Advanced search

Food that now tastes different

(9 Posts)
happysunr1se Sun 19-Nov-17 18:42:50

I picked up some Longley farm double cream today.

I normally do the bulk of my shopping at tesco and their cream doesn't really taste of much, but this Longley cream had that rich buttery lingering flavour which I haven't tasted for ages from regular supermarket cream. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also apricots, I swear they used to taste different several years ago, they were more delicate and floral. And nectarines, any of them would twist away from the stone cleanly when cut in half. Now you end up squishing them if you try to do this.

I try not to buy fruit from tesco anymore because it often tastes of nothing or is pappy....or maybe it's just me?

Has anyone any experience of this or am I imagining it all?!

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 19-Nov-17 19:58:25

Almost all salt and vinegar crisps are less vingerary then they used to be. One of life’s great disappointments.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 25-Nov-17 18:22:38

Mars bars taste nothing like they used to but strangely, Lidl’s version taste like Mars bars used to IYGWIM.

cookingongas Sun 26-Nov-17 09:16:12

YES on the mars bars! Good tip for Lidl's ( lidls rocky caramel rip offs taste like rocky caramel tasted in the 90s- sooo much better than the current taste)

Butter is also going the way of cream and milk. Milk used to be so much creamier, full fat used to taste markedly different and fuller than semi- it's pretty much the same now sadcream as you say is closer to what milk used be and butter - well, unless you're spending £2+ a block then you can look forward
To a brighter coloured but almost tasteless butter that reminds me butter substitutes. Sigh 😔

lettuceWrap Sun 26-Nov-17 12:10:43

For milk that tastes proper, try the Jersey milk sold in M&S (my local Tesco stocks it too but not all branches seem to.
KerryGold butter is delicious.

LemonadeWithACherry Sun 26-Nov-17 12:50:20

I never no if it's food that's changed or my taste buds? I can't find peaches that taste like when I was a girl, or oranges sad

kateandme Sun 26-Nov-17 13:04:38

if you go to a taste session at a famr you will see the huge pile they have to take out due to not meeting the exacting standard of size,shape,colour of supermarkets tick list. taste the odd shaped one and they taste the best.becasue they are natural.
they have had to change take out so much of what they say isn't right.they have had to change sizes and colour and modified them so much they've taken hald the good stuff out.
reduced salt here.reduced fat and sugar there.poppycock to the tate we used to enjoy!
if you go to a dairy farm and try there milk...shocker! lol the difference is immense.its like tasting cream ha.
a sure sign of this is when you can now eat a disco crisp easily without it zinging your head off.becasue they have reduced all the good stuff.
veg has been created to be uniformed its effected all the natural stuff.

PigletJohn Thu 30-Nov-17 17:42:54

CI milk is delicious. I get my milk delivered from a local dairy farm but sadly they have now sold their Guernseys. Their whole milk is very nice though (not homogenised since they have a simple bottling plant).

They have to buy in semi skimmed and other dairy stuff since they don't have the facilities to make it.

goose1964 Thu 30-Nov-17 17:45:37

My sister says Ryvita tastes different but I haven't noticed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now