Talk

Advanced search

Making small Christmas Cakes - help

(25 Posts)
katymac Fri 17-Nov-17 18:29:45

Decided to make Christmas Cakes for relatives this year (bit late I know)

I have only ever made large Christmas Cakes before - I usually use the Hamelyn All colour cookbook - but I don't know if it will make a smaller cake (issues with cooking?)

I was thinking about a 6 inch cake maybe 3-4 inches deep

Any helpful suggestions or tips?

Oh & I have a new cooker that I haven't done cakes in before & I reckon i cooks faster/hotter than I am used to - so I worry about that too

OP’s posts: |
katymac Sat 18-Nov-17 09:46:08

Bump

FlaviaAlbia Sat 18-Nov-17 09:58:03

I love that cookbook.

I have a tin that size I used to use to make a small cake for my MIL. I wrapped the outside of the tin in brown paper and baked it at 130*C for 2hrs15. Then another 15 if it wasn’t cooked, It was deeper than 3-4” though, probably about 6” again.

I always was convinced my oven ran hot as I have to reduce times or temperatures for a lot of recipes but I borrowed a oven thermometer and it seems roughly accurate.

BeyondThePage Sat 18-Nov-17 10:01:51

I make a large square one and cut it in 4, then cover with marzipan/icing - otherwise I find that the cooking time is so hard to predict and spend half a day attached to the oven.

storynanny Sat 18-Nov-17 10:04:36

I had a colleague at school who made individual cakes in empty baked bean tins one year with her class. Would they be too small?

katymac Sat 18-Nov-17 10:08:20

Oh Beyond what a good idea!

My old oven was pretty good for timings but this one cooks much faster so I'll turn it down a bit (both are fan assisted so I'm not sure why the difference)

I think tins would be too small - but it's a great idea

RosyWelshcakes Sat 18-Nov-17 10:08:23

*I had a colleague at school who made individual cakes in empty baked bean tins one year with her class. Would they be too small?•

I thought of baked bean tins as well.

RosyWelshcakes Sat 18-Nov-17 10:10:13

www.eatsamazing.co.uk/family-friendly-recipes/dessert-sweet-treat-recipes/tin-can-mini-christmas-cakes

katymac Sat 18-Nov-17 20:30:52

OK my large tin isn't big enough for 4 cakes

I found this tin

But I'm going to have to mess around with cooking times something rotten

splendide Sat 18-Nov-17 20:33:28

I made two 6” square cakes this year. I used the guardian’s perfect Christmas cake recipe which did both ok. I think I cooked them for about 2 hours.

katymac Sat 18-Nov-17 20:41:25

I'm thinking the hole in the middle might make them dry

But it will make them easy to decorate! Wreaths

I wonder if I should soak the fruit overnight - I have some Jamaican rum?

splendide Sat 18-Nov-17 20:42:23

Definitely soak the fruit!

notthe1Parrot Sat 18-Nov-17 21:26:49

Our school also did the baked bean tins (obviously the small, shallow ones). They looked lovely when decorated, and the parents were thrilled with them!

katymac Sat 18-Nov-17 22:15:37

I found the right sized rectangle but it's too shallow - so I may add foil & brown paper & see how I do

sooperdooper Sat 18-Nov-17 22:19:07

I do the same as BeyondThePage, I've made two normal size square cakes then cut them into quarters - makes the cooking time much easier to figure out smile

RosyWelshcakes Sun 19-Nov-17 09:32:44

Op you could always do a square cake and cut circles out with a pastry cutter

SoMuchToBits Sun 19-Nov-17 09:38:21

I made a 6 inch cake this year using this cake tin.
www.amazon.co.uk/Silverwood-Anodised-Round-loose-based/dp/B000EF80WG?tag=mumsnetforum-21
I used Delia Smith's recipe for wedding cake, where she gives different quantities and times for each size tier, so used the 6 inch recipe.

www.deliaonline.com/information-centre/scaling-up-cake-recipes

katymac Sun 19-Nov-17 13:49:30

Well one large on is in......fingers crossed

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 20-Nov-17 14:24:25

katymac, using one large cake pan is fine, but when you cut it in to smaller cakes, the liquid in the cut pieces of dried fruit will leach in to the icing and mark it. Obviously this doesn't happen too quickly, but I would suggest delaying cutting and decorating as long as possible to limit the risk. You don't want staining coming through your icing.

katymac Tue 21-Nov-17 09:37:52

Damn - I didn't see this and cut it already

DH has suggested he eats all this one & I can make another one......

FlaviaAlbia Tue 21-Nov-17 10:42:23

I always put a marzipan layer between my cake and icing, I tend to feed it a lot so the cake is slightly sticky on top and it doesn't go though. That only works if nuts are allowed though..

viques Tue 21-Nov-17 10:47:33

If you google "Nigel Slater small Christmas cakes " you should find a guardian column where he gives a recipe for a small Christmas cake. It is gorgeous, packed with fruit. He advises using more interesting fruit than normal eg dried cherries, golden raisins etc on the grounds that you aren't using so much!

katymac Wed 22-Nov-17 16:36:30

I use marzipan too; but sadly the cake is too dry

I think I made it too shallow. So DH will eat it all - with custard and I'll make another thicker one....poop!

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 22-Nov-17 17:13:26

Lucky DH.

katymac Wed 22-Nov-17 20:07:26

I don't think greed had anything to do with his decision to say "well you can't give your aunty a cake that isn't perfect....." do you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »