Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Stuffing - can I make the freeze this?

(9 Posts)
ParadiseLaundry Thu 16-Nov-17 07:45:26

I'm planning on making this stuffing for Xmas, made it a few years ago and it was a big hit. I made it on Xmas eve then refrigerated and cooked on Xmas day.

This year, having a little DS I'd like to make as many things in advance as possible and freeze (I'm doing this with soup starter and gravy). I was planning on making it up completely then freezing it raw, perhaps a few days/a week before, taking out of freezer on Xmas eve and cooking on Xmas day. I can't see any obvious reason why this would be problematic but just wanted to see if anyone else could.

It's more a quality issue I'm worried about rather than safety but that is obviously a concern too!

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/stuffing/

OP’s posts: |
PotteringAlong Thu 16-Nov-17 07:57:05

Yes! I'm making my Christmas stuffing this weekend!

Alwaysatyke Thu 16-Nov-17 08:00:38

Yes! Stuffing is my favourite bit of the meal so i always make loads and freeze half (chestnut apple and sage in case you were wondering and it's bloody amazing)

ParadiseLaundry Thu 16-Nov-17 08:44:04

Thank you, those enthusiastic responses make me feel really confident!

Always, that sounds lovely! Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?

Alwaysatyke Thu 16-Nov-17 10:19:52

It's a Gary Rhodes recipe from Rhodes Around Britain, Google isn't finding it so I'll write it up for you later smile

Alwaysatyke Fri 17-Nov-17 09:25:02

RIGHTO:
Grated large onion
Zest and juice of a lemon
1tbsp chopped fresh sage
3/4lb sausage meat
4oz chopped roasted chestnuts (I use the vacuum packed merchant gourmet ones)
1 grated apple
2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
1 beaten egg
Butter

Soften the onions in melted butter for a few minutes. Add the zest and sage and leave to cool.

When it's cool add the sausage meat, chestnuts, apple and breadcrumbs. Season and add the egg.

Leave to rest for a bit then mix in the lemon juice.

Roast and then devour, especially in post-christmas sandwiches. Mmmmmmmmmm

ParadiseLaundry Fri 17-Nov-17 12:47:14

Thank you so much for that! I've just bought a ridiculous amount of chestnuts and have the rest of the ingredients in so will try it out this Sunday!

Alwaysatyke Fri 17-Nov-17 13:07:43

Ahhh i hope you like it! I'm practically evangelical about the stuff, it's so tasty. Keep thinking I should make it more often but then it might be less special when Christmas comes around...

puddingpen Fri 17-Nov-17 15:50:16

Yes. I like to have a constant supply of stuffing balls in my freezer. I make them small so that they cook from frozen in 30mins, but you can make a big batch and defrost before cooking as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »