Talk

Advanced search

A meal that can be prepared the day before

(13 Posts)
foodiemama26 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:38:15

Friends are coming to stay this weekend and we’ll be out most of Saturday. I’d like to prepare a meal on Friday before they arrive that can be warmed up easily the following evening. I’d usually do a chilli/spag bol but they don’t really eat mince. Any ideas on tasty meals that keep well please?

OP’s posts: |
Chewbecca Wed 15-Nov-17 18:39:55

Chicken lasagne? I like this one with BNS and pesto. I serve with garlic bread & salad.

blueskyinmarch Wed 15-Nov-17 18:40:57

Fish pie?

pastabest Wed 15-Nov-17 18:41:54

Any kind of stew / curry / pie

SaigonSaigon Wed 15-Nov-17 18:42:34

Curries are better made a day ahead and reheated

pestov Wed 15-Nov-17 20:22:23

Something in a slow cooker that can be put on at breakfast time before you go out for the day?

lastqueenofscotland Wed 15-Nov-17 21:19:59

I make curry a day ahead
Shepherds pie
Any pie fillings and just add shop bought short crust?

Cookingongas Thu 16-Nov-17 07:31:10

What about curry? A massaman would ideal here.

Beef bourginoin/ coq au vin/ rabbit casserole

I know they aren’t popular here anymore but have you got a slow cooker? If you have one large enough to fit a pudding basin, You can make steak and mushroom pie ( suet pudding type) and steam it in a slow cooker ready for your return?

Vegetarian lasagne? Chicken and mushroom lasagne?? This nary berry sausage and spinach lasagne is lovely https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/expresslasagnee_51375

AdaColeman Thu 16-Nov-17 07:43:27

Another vote for boeuf bourguignon, perhaps with herb dumplings and Potatoes Boulangere.
Or Navarin of lamb, served with broccoli, cauliflower and Roman cauliflower.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Thu 16-Nov-17 07:54:12

Pulled pork in the oven all day (7-8 hours) salads, coleslaw, apple sauce done in advance. Then everyone just helps themselves to rolls. Add a few sausages and burgers for fussy kids if necessary.

julie81 Thu 16-Nov-17 08:56:59

I love chilli with stewing beef, www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chunky-chilli

kateandme Fri 17-Nov-17 12:44:15

chicken and bacon pasta bake.
curry
stew and dumplings you could do te dumplings ready to and leave wrapped in cling in the fridge.
chicken and mushroom/gravy/pie
savoury crumble
marinate some chicken thighs in a bag over night just bung in oven tomorrow.
risotto
jumbalay
paeulla

foodiemama26 Fri 17-Nov-17 19:42:51

Thanks for all the ideas...curry won!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »