Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your ideal buffet?

(16 Posts)
TheNoseyProject Mon 13-Nov-17 20:28:08

I have 12 people to do a buffet for inc. 2 vegans and 1 veggie. I’ve asked everyone to bring a think of their choice and I have £50 to spend on the rest of the spread.

So, what would you chose? I’m going to get fresh bakery bread, butter, vegan spread and salad bags. And also sliced beef and chicken.

But what else? I feel I need some exciting salads and it is meant to be filling enough for lunch.

Shall I just wander the aisles of m&s?

Chillyegg Mon 13-Nov-17 20:30:36

Houmous
Falafel
Gorilla chips and dips
Jacket pots with a vegan chili
Home made vegan choccy and peanut butter cake...
I think 50 quid might be a bit tight tbh

RatOnnaStick Mon 13-Nov-17 20:32:13

I always like spring rolls, samosas etc but only if they are cooked and the pastry is crunchy

PaperdollCartoon Mon 13-Nov-17 20:35:17

I’m doing a vegetarian buffet for 90 people soon.... a few homemade quiches, potato salad (can be made vegan with vegan mayo) homemade coleslaw (same as before) vol au vents (because I love them and don’t care if they’re kitsch, mini veggie sausage rolls (tesco frozen are best) maybe a pasta salad, falafels, humous, dips, chopped veggies...

Rudgie47 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:44:33

www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/wellie.htm.The vegan mushroom and chestnut wellington.
This chopped into slices, they can have it with salad and various crisps/tortilla chips etc.
I would make all the salads from scratch not use bags as they tend to be not as nice I think.
Kettle chips.
You could do salads like pasta with pesto and pine nuts or oranges with peppers, olives and a drizzel of orange/lemon juice on.
Get Hendersons book of salads for inspiration.
Dont get quiches they are crap.

choppolata Mon 13-Nov-17 20:45:02

This is my party piece salad for buffets: demuths.co.uk/rachels-blog/article/puy-lentil-and-roasted-beetroot-salad but any big couscous type salad with chickpeas would be filling. Soup maybe? Vegan shortbread is easy, quick and cheap to make. Personally I like baked potatoes as they are easy to make vegan/not vegan and nobody feels left out.

TheNoseyProject Mon 13-Nov-17 21:03:44

These look great! I did miss key info though- sorry! It all has to be stuff I can prep and take as there won’t be an oven/hob so it’s a cold buffet.

I was hoping with 12 also bringing a thing to share that £50 might cover it but I can add in if need be.

Homemade quiche and potato salad is a fab idea and the wellington looks so nice!

TheNoseyProject Mon 13-Nov-17 21:04:39

I can cook and take though so pastries etc are still possible.

witchofzog Mon 13-Nov-17 21:08:16

Olives. Dips. Greek salad. Mozzarella and tomato salad. Pasta salad (orzo pasta is gorgeous), half jacket potatoes. Something hot too -maybe a large shatshuka. Yum smile

witchofzog Mon 13-Nov-17 21:08:56

Oops. Missed that it needs to be cold. Take out the shatshuka then

Orangeplastic Mon 13-Nov-17 21:11:09

I'd pick a theme and stick to it. Middle Eastern Mezze, Spanish tapas or Indian...are all fairly easy.

MrsMoastyToasty Mon 13-Nov-17 21:13:40

For me it has to be gluten free food. I've been to buffets where the only thing I can eat is the garnish on the side of the plate.

TheNoseyProject Mon 13-Nov-17 21:46:19

I know everyone pretty well and gluten isn’t an issue but I will consider it.

choppolata Mon 13-Nov-17 21:51:11

I read your post as being everyone bringing a drink of their choice! You might want to divide your guests into sweet and savoury in case you end up with 11 desserts or 9 giant pork pies! You could provide salads, bread, dips, cheese board/biscuits/chutneys, a centrepiece veggie dish, a plate of cold cuts and a cake or two.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 13-Nov-17 22:46:42

I would see if you can get your guests to let you know I need advance what they hope to bring. It will make your job so much easier.
A roasted veg puff pastry tart( just roll is vegan) is usually a crowd pleaser. Maybe do French stick and mushroom or bean pates.

TheNoseyProject Tue 14-Nov-17 09:14:43

Yes drinks is a v good idea! Also like the tart idea. Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now