Talk

Advanced search

Heeelllpp - need Vegan recipes including something for XMAS day that DONT contain Tree Nuts

(8 Posts)
Wills Sat 11-Nov-17 20:32:28

An ex-au-pair of ours has asked to come for Xmas. We're all thoroughly delighted. However he then dropped into the conversation that he's become Vegan. He's also a body builder. Aside from me personally feeling a sense of ugh the major issue here is how to feed him good quality food without tree nuts as I'm seriously allergic to Brazil nuts (been told won't survive another encounter), very allergic to Hazel nuts (as in an open jar of the stuff cause me to have an asthma attack whilst in a campsite in an open field FFS) and do not want to willingly bring into the house any more tree nuts (actually my allergy is, in my opinion, seriously frustrating/annoying/grrrrrr and I try to go out of my way to never mention it to friends which is why I ended up having an asthma attack on a camping holiday in France). So recipe ideas that would enable me to give him his much needed vegan based protein would be gratefully received. Thank you guys

ownedbySWD Sat 11-Nov-17 20:35:02

Forks over knives has a Thanksgiving menu (just Google it) that might have some recipes for you. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but there is a lot of variety.

MrsPestilence Sat 11-Nov-17 20:36:56

tempeh marinade in something that will go with the gravy and carry on as previously planned.

Jenala Sat 11-Nov-17 20:38:34

What about a lentil loaf? There are loads of recipes online, this one is vegan but many are.

HairyMaclary Sat 11-Nov-17 20:42:22

Do chestnuts count? I suspect they do as they are from a tree. However if not I am doing Beetroot and squash wellingtons with kale pesto from the bbc good food website. With vegan pastry (most jusrol stuff is vegan) then it covers all bases and is delicious.

No good though if chestnuts count.

SilverSpot Sun 12-Nov-17 10:11:30

I’d just cut a pack of the olive taifun tofu into 4 triangles and fry.

Easy. Tasty. Loads of protein for his body building. Then he can have the rest of the sides if you do them with olive oil not goosfat etc.

LineysRum Sun 12-Nov-17 10:23:08

Stuffed peppers are good and you can make them in advance. Cut a capsicum in half, remove seeds, add a mix of cooked rice, chopped mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, garlic, basil, seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil ('from a height', as Jamie would say) and bake.

Mushroom pie - seasoned mushrooms in vegan pastry.

Tofu and vegetable sides sounds good though, as suggested ^^

Wills Sun 12-Nov-17 16:37:59

Thanks all, some fantastic pointers and ideas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: