Talk

Advanced search

Need to use a big bag of dried mixed fruit

(18 Posts)
custardlover Sat 11-Nov-17 18:44:27

I was intending it for a Christmas cake... last year and I’ve just notice that the BBE was October 3017...

Now I’m sure it’ll be fine but I should use it up and I don’t have the energy this weekend for Christmas cake making - any other suggestions?

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 11-Nov-17 18:46:59

Bread pudding. Dead easy - soak half a loaf of bread in milk, soak the fruit in a shot of whatever spirits you fancy (I use amaretto or whisky usually) then mix the fruit and bread together with sugar, egg and mixed spice, turn out into a cake tin and sprinkle with demerara sugar before baking for about an hour.

Or do baked apples filled with the fruit.

custardlover Sat 11-Nov-17 18:48:08

(Whoops - that was supposed to be 2017. I really am tired.)

custardlover Sat 11-Nov-17 18:49:45

Bread pudding! Great idea - thank you! Does it keep / freeze or will I have to eat it (poor me...grin)

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 11-Nov-17 18:59:23

It doesn't last long enough in my house to keep or freeze, so I don't know, sorry!

TheDropBear Sat 11-Nov-17 19:36:40

Bara brith warm with loads of real butter grin

siblingrevelryagain Sat 11-Nov-17 19:39:40

It'll be good for at least another year, there's no rush to use it up.

Iwannasnack Sat 11-Nov-17 19:55:02

Mincemeat? Just put in into jars and then make your own mince pies in a few weeks time?
Or Christmas pudding?
Agree that there’s no rush to use it up though.

BradleyPooper Sat 11-Nov-17 20:07:17

Soak it in whisky or brandy, lemon and orange peel, cinnamon sticks, cloves, then make your cake first week of December. Its not too late and the alcohol will help preserve it.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 11-Nov-17 21:11:52

Use it to make muesli or granola.

Alabasterangel6 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:13:51

YY to bara brith. Made Bara freezes well too. Soak the mix overnight in strong sugared tea, then mix with flour and egg and bake. Served sliced and buttered. Shout if you want a recipe.

RockinHippy Sun 12-Nov-17 09:36:48

I agree with Bradley, stick it opinion a large killer type jar, ad spices & nuts & cover with alcohol. I make celebration cakes & I always have a jar like this on the go

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:13:59

Just save it for the cake, it's dried fruit, it won't go off just because the BB was October, it'll be fine.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Mon 13-Nov-17 19:16:21

Try The Hairy Biker’s Christmas Pudding Vodka. It is a drink of utmost Christmas joy.

Chewbecca Fri 17-Nov-17 12:39:12

I'd also save it for when you're ready to make the cake, the BB date won't make much difference. You'll presumably soak it for the Christmas cake?

kateandme Fri 17-Nov-17 12:57:37

biscotti
shortbread

emsiewill Fri 17-Nov-17 13:16:51

There's a great bara brith recipe I use all of the time, and always get great results www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/1148-Bara-brith very quick and simple to make.

puddingpen Fri 17-Nov-17 15:52:25

Probably too late now, but I would have suggested mincemeat. Put it into jars and give them away or make mincepies closer to Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now