Talk

Advanced search

Best veggie chilli recipe?

(6 Posts)
Fekko Sat 11-Nov-17 09:56:54

I tend to throw it all together and it's usually ok - but not bloody brilliantly! I use bulgar wheat as the base. 🌶 (Oooh just found a wee chilli emoji!)

Quick and easy would be good as I'm usually strapped for time.

Any really good ones out there?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 12-Nov-17 17:59:41

I like Kerryann Dunlop's chilli con veggie but it's not that quick. I usually use just twice the amount of red lentils as I found the green ones were still crunchy when everything else was cooked. I might try soaking them or using tinned ones.

Growingboys Sun 12-Nov-17 20:56:14

This is great - I do it all the time and freeze it in portions.

www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pinto-bean-chilli

SilverSpot Sun 12-Nov-17 21:43:51

I do mine with a large onion, two or theee red or green peppers, half a small freezer pack of quorn, tin of kidney beans, tin of other beans (black or black eyed or just another tin of kidney) and two tins of toms.

Plus tom paste. And port or red wine. And loads of oregano, chilli, paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon. And a splash of balsamic. And salt.

I reckon I probably put in a tablespoon of oregano and 2 teaspoons of the spices except 1 of cumin and half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Potentially not super authentic but it’s god dam tasty.

SilverSpot Sun 12-Nov-17 21:47:13

Oh forgot to say you can sub in red lentils instead of the quorn if you don’t like quorn.

StatueInTheSky Sun 12-Nov-17 21:55:30

If i go veggie i tend to go all beanie...kidney, cannellini, black turtle beans, and a little soya mince.
Lots of work on the sauce side, tomato passata, tomatoes, garlic, onions, shallots, celery, carrots....lots of sweating off of veg to get depth of flavour

cook off the spices properly, chilli flakes, smoked paprika, a little cayenne, maybe some sage or rosemary, I usually add in a couple of fat chillies too, but only whole with a split, and then I hook them out...we are not fans of hot hot hot for chilli.

couple of tbs of proper dark cocoa never goes amiss in chilli either.

Usually do it in the slow cooker and let it go all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now