Talk

Advanced search

Funeral food

(14 Posts)
Lanechops Fri 10-Nov-17 04:01:01

Help pls. I am catering for a family funeral for about 60 and have no idea on qty of food to do, am sticking with finger food but have no idea. Qty wise would it be 1 sandwich per person ?

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Fri 10-Nov-17 04:30:21

Sorry for your loss. I would have thought two or three depending on size, especially if some people are coming from any distance.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 10-Nov-17 04:38:07

How far are people coming and for how long? 5 minutes away for half and hour not over a meal time... one each.

flowers

Elllicam Fri 10-Nov-17 05:03:35

I agree I think 2 or 3. Costco do good mini quiches too or sausage rolls? Sorry for your loss.

perpetuallybewildered Fri 10-Nov-17 05:10:45

I was surprised at the amount of food consumed at a recent family funeral. I think I’d count 1.5 sandwiches per person, (that’s 3slices of bread) plus sausage rolls etc. There will be those who don’t eat much but others will have much more hearty appetites.

Jenijena Fri 10-Nov-17 05:38:03

Depending on how much you want to pre make, I’d go for a round and a half of sandwiches each too. Sausage/veggie rolls (60?), large quiches you can cut into and make about 45 portions. Bowls of crisps. Breadsticks and dips. Grapes, other fruit cut into chunks, cucumber and carrot sticks. if you have acces to an oven those sorts of Indian/Chinese nibble collections, or mini pizzas. And then about 5-8 loaf cakes or equivalent (lemon drizzle, gingerbread, cherry, chocolate - I’m nuts and would make them all but buying would be v straightforward.) I’d also have cutting cheese blocks around, in case of celiacs - it’s not much of a meal, but cheese, crisps, fruit, veg and dips would be ok.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 10-Nov-17 13:29:11

We had sandwiches and lentil soup at my Dad's, the soup was really filling so less need for tons of sandwiches, then scones/jam/cream.
I think the soup might be more of a Scottish thing though?

Blondie1984 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:40:46

I think it depends on what else you are offering - for example will there be cake/scones afterwards?
I would probably go for 1.5 rounds of sandwiches per person plus extra bits

quince2figs Fri 10-Nov-17 20:39:53

For my Dad's funeral, we catered for around 75 I think, and was astounded at how much people ate.
We ordered M&S sandwich platters and mini smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels (were Dad's favourite!).
Crisps, cheese platter and grapes.
Homemade bara brith, lemon drizzle, mixed berry and jam Swiss roll and choc brownies - all pre-cut - wanted cakes that didn't need fridging
and weren't too messy to pick up with fingers.
We then had time to make continual pots of tea - could have seriously done with a tea urn!
A few bottles of wine went down surprisingly well too, which we hadn't planned.
So sorry for your loss and a hope all goes as planned.

quince2figs Fri 10-Nov-17 20:41:00

Oh, and people are around 2 rounds of sandwiches at least (8 quarters)

quince2figs Fri 10-Nov-17 20:41:19

Aargh - ate, not are

Lessstressedhemum Fri 10-Nov-17 23:02:09

I regularly cater funerals at church. We go for 3 triangle sandwiches per person (1 1/2 slices of bread), 1 snack size sausage roll per person plus a few extra, usually 1 slice of quiche per 2 people and 1 1/2 small cakes per person, so for 60 people, I would get 8 dozen sweet things. This is usually plenty.

kateandme Sat 11-Nov-17 11:37:10

I was surprised when I did our last one.you think oh no one will be hungry but its alsmot the opposite people after grief,exhaustion of funeral we found needed to fill up.id say three triangles of sandwhich at least.
cosco was a saviour for us.huge sandhwhich platter.two of there large sharing pizzas.a quiche cut into thin slices.sausage rolls.and cocktail sausages.
made a big salad in a bowl in the middle.a few bowls of coleslaw
half a dozen French stick into slices.

big fruit salad,strawberry melon banana,oranges apples.
selection of mini cakes,mr kipling are great for their treat slices and fondant fancies. made a Victoria sponge with jam and cream and a coffee cake.
and a cosco cheesecake.

one tip is we served more larger paper bowls.more than you think so people can double up and people tended to actually have the main course bits in these too as they are much easier to handle than the plates.
we had cartoon and orange and apple juice and big jugs of iced water.
large bowl of fruit salad

Deathraystare Sat 11-Nov-17 18:57:22

I wouldn't say people lose their appetite at a funeral! There was a lot of catching up of friends/relatives of my friends' brother at his funeral and there was plenty eaten. The pub catered I think. General sandwiches, quiche, cakes sort of thing.

At my uncle's funeral it was catered by his son's pub. Sandwiches, battered fish, quiche, lovely little cakes and stuff. Again lots of catching up and loads of eating!

Sorry for your loss. I hope it goes well on the day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: