Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Roast lamb- give me the basics

(13 Posts)
opalescent Sat 04-Nov-17 21:54:57

I have never cooked roast lamb. We have beef/chicken/pork and Gammon. But never lamb, as we both feel that it’s too fatty.

I’d really like to try it tomorrow for our Sunday roast though- does anyone have any foolproof tips for cooking it? Leg or shoulder? Seasoning/flavouring? All advice appreciated. Especially anything to keep the fattiness to a minimum!

Thank you 😊

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 04-Nov-17 21:59:45

I usually make small slits in the lamb (leg preferably) and stuff in garlic and rosemary, then spray the lamb with spray oil, salt and pepper it, and then roast low and slow.

Getabloominmoveon Sat 04-Nov-17 22:00:04

Shoulder, season well, follow some bbc recipes, cook slow and low for a long time it’ll be delicious

StatueInTheSky Sat 04-Nov-17 22:00:55

leg....

if you like garlic, stab a small knife in and poke cloves into the hole, and or sprigs of rosemary

plenty of S&P, a drizzle of oil over the top

I do mine in a lidded roaster....140 ish for most of th eafternoon, and let it rest for ages

Dauphinoise potatoes and make a nice gravy from the meat juices!

StatueInTheSky Sat 04-Nov-17 22:02:29

if you haven't got a covered pan then go the other way....really hot oven, minimum cooking time recommended for size, but still rest it for ages.

CountessOfStrathearn Sat 04-Nov-17 22:02:48

This is amazing. We've done it loads as it is so easy and always successful.

CountessOfStrathearn Sat 04-Nov-17 22:03:05

Whoops! Forgot the link:

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/best-roast-leg-of-lamb/

teewee Sat 04-Nov-17 22:15:27

Second countess, it's amazing, fall apart fantastic!

opalescent Sat 04-Nov-17 22:21:20

Ooh gorgeous ideas!! Countess, that sounds perfect- fairly idiot proof!! Much obliged.

foodiefil Sun 05-Nov-17 14:29:49

How's it gone?

CountessOfStrathearn Sun 05-Nov-17 19:50:09

How was it then? It is so easy that we even sometimes have it midweek, which, after thinking about it now, I think we will have to have as I want to eat it now!

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sun 05-Nov-17 19:53:53

If you find lamb too fatty maybe try goat. It's very lean and cooked low and slow the flavour is just as good as lamb. Not sure how easily you can get hold of it in the UK though. We did a roast leg of goat last Sunday and it was lush.

foodiefil Sun 05-Nov-17 20:26:17

It's easy to get hold of @Greaterthanthesumoftheparts I have some in my freezer. And I don't live in London or anywhere like that! How did you cook the leg?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now