Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake recipe but no baking instructions!

(9 Posts)
twinone Sat 04-Nov-17 12:35:25

Reading my post back, I haven't made it clear blush.
I get a strip of brown paper and wrap round the outside of the tin, tying it with string.

The way I have written it makes it sound like I have parcelled it up shockgrin

PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:49:48

Ah I'm sorry to hear that OP flowers but it sounds like she had a good innings as they say smile It's so nice you're making her cake - like a tribute to her!
I always use Queen Mary Berry's recipe - it always works. Her amounts look about the same as yours, so maybe follow her method just using your Gran's ingredients? Link for Mary's recipe: www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_christmas_cake_04076

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 11:44:13

She died in September at the grand old age of 90. A truly remarkable woman. I wish I had the rest! Any idea on how to combine everything?

OP’s posts: |
PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:27:07

PS I love her handwriting. What a nice thing to have.

PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:25:34

Low and slow OP! As PPs said above. I don't think you need to be too precise with a fruit cake, not like you will with a sponge. I usually double line the tin in greaseproof, sides and base, just to protect from the long cooking time. I don't cover the top though unless it's looking too dark while it's baking, then I stick some foil over it. I think it's so nice to use an old recipe btw.

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 11:15:18

So cooked in the paper?

twinone Sat 04-Nov-17 11:00:48

With not dissimilar quantities, I cooked mine in a 20cm tin for 4 to 4.5 hrs on 150 fan oven.
I fully lined the tin, placed a disc of baking parchment over the top with a hole about he size of a 10p in the middle and wrapped the tin in brown paper tied with string.

Hope that helps.

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 10:57:00

Here's what I've got.

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 09:18:54

I've found my grandmother's cake recipe, and I want to give it a go. Nothing but the list of ingredients unfortunately. I know I have to soak the fruit overnight, but how do I work out baking time/temp and tin size?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in