Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake recipe but no baking instructions!

(9 Posts)
GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 09:18:54

I've found my grandmother's cake recipe, and I want to give it a go. Nothing but the list of ingredients unfortunately. I know I have to soak the fruit overnight, but how do I work out baking time/temp and tin size?

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 10:57:00

Here's what I've got.

twinone Sat 04-Nov-17 11:00:48

With not dissimilar quantities, I cooked mine in a 20cm tin for 4 to 4.5 hrs on 150 fan oven.
I fully lined the tin, placed a disc of baking parchment over the top with a hole about he size of a 10p in the middle and wrapped the tin in brown paper tied with string.

Hope that helps.

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 11:15:18

So cooked in the paper?

PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:25:34

Low and slow OP! As PPs said above. I don't think you need to be too precise with a fruit cake, not like you will with a sponge. I usually double line the tin in greaseproof, sides and base, just to protect from the long cooking time. I don't cover the top though unless it's looking too dark while it's baking, then I stick some foil over it. I think it's so nice to use an old recipe btw.

PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:27:07

PS I love her handwriting. What a nice thing to have.

GissASquizz Sat 04-Nov-17 11:44:13

She died in September at the grand old age of 90. A truly remarkable woman. I wish I had the rest! Any idea on how to combine everything?

PrivateParkin Sat 04-Nov-17 11:49:48

Ah I'm sorry to hear that OP flowers but it sounds like she had a good innings as they say smile It's so nice you're making her cake - like a tribute to her!
I always use Queen Mary Berry's recipe - it always works. Her amounts look about the same as yours, so maybe follow her method just using your Gran's ingredients? Link for Mary's recipe: www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_christmas_cake_04076

twinone Sat 04-Nov-17 12:35:25

Reading my post back, I haven't made it clear blush.
I get a strip of brown paper and wrap round the outside of the tin, tying it with string.

The way I have written it makes it sound like I have parcelled it up shockgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now