Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leftover chicken recipes

(13 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Thu 02-Nov-17 18:39:47

We have roast chicken most Sundays. Which leaves leftover chicken for Monday's, we are all totally bored of the rotation of leftover chicken- curry, wraps, stir fry, the occasional paella. This week I made a chicken and bacon hotpot which was really nice.

Please help me before my family refuse to eat at home on a Monday! 😂 What do you do with leftover roast?

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 02-Nov-17 19:01:07

Spanish chicken pie

Thingvellir Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:22

I did a really nice chicken, bacon and mushroom risotto with ours last week -it was delish!

Im rubbish with links hopefully this will work https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-mushroom-risotto

AlmostStace Thu 02-Nov-17 19:11:51

Chicken cobbler (and ham/bacon if I have leftover of that too) is my favourite. Sweat a bit of onion/garlic/carrots/mushrooms in some butter, add a tbsp of flour & cook it in, then add milk and/or stock until you get the desired thickness. Make your topping by mixing 200g plain flour, 2tsp baking powder, a pinch of mustard powder if you want it, 2tsp oil and 150ml yoghurt. Plain works but I like greek. Squidge it all together, roll it out and use a cutter or tumbler to cut circles and lay them over the chicken mix. Bake at around 200 for 25-30 mins.

AlmostStace Thu 02-Nov-17 19:12:37

Of course you can add other seasonings and herbs or do it with any other meat stew-type base.

Pearly70 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:23:15

If you like pasta...

Fry some bacon lardons or pancetta, chuck in small tub of garlic Philadelphia and a small cup of veg or ckicken stock, add some Italian herbs, spinach/ leeks (or whatever veg you like really) and grated parmesan, cook until veg soft then mix with cooked pasta and leftover chicken... My family's favourite dinner 😁

Ricekrispie22 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:26:22

The possibilities with left over roast chicken are endless! Enchiladas, fajitas, burritos, pasta bakes, risottos, pizzas etc....
Usually I use it on a weeknight and I can't be bothered to do much cooking so I might do one of the following:
stir it into coronation sauce for a jacket potato
Quickly make a honey and mustard sauce to go with pasta
Stir it into pesto and have with pasta
Make a couscous salad with courgette, peppers, lemon and herbs

I've just discovered a Hunters' chicken sauce in Tesco which has a lovely smokey flavour and I added carrots and red peppers and ate with jacket potatoes.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:34:59

I forgot to mention that I also do sweet and sour chicken and chicken chow mien with left overs.

Wormulonian Fri 03-Nov-17 14:56:03

Chicken and veg noodle soup - I use miso paste and some extra garlic and ginger slices for the stock.

Chicken and veg and barley soup with a boiled potato to mash into it added on serving (like my granny used to make on cold winter days). Uses up the carcass nicely.

Roast Chicken pie - a shortcrust or puff pastry (ready made) top.

jenandjess Sat 04-Nov-17 11:54:02

Rachel Allen does the most gorgeous Chicken and Ham lasagne. I tend to do a boiled ham and freeze the leftovers until I have chicken leftovers. Google it ... it's really delicious.

foodiemama26 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:53:14

chicken fried rice and curry sauce

paninis with a nice side

nachos with the chicken in a spicy tomato sauce/guacamole/sour cream etc.

mix it with left over mash and veg and fry as potato cakes

Loctite Sat 04-Nov-17 13:11:15

I make a few things depending on the time of year and how much effort I feel like going to.

Chicken and broccoli gratin - make a white sauce using chicken stock and cream and herbs. Put the chicken in an oven dish and add parcooked broccoli, pour over the sauce and top with breadcrumbs mixed with cheese and herbs. Bake till the top is golden and crisp and you can see the sauce bubbling at the edges. Serve with a veg or salad

Bill Grangers Oven Baked chicken and asparagus risotto - we love this recipe

Warm sweet chilli chicken salad. All the usual salad ingredients - whatever you fancy, we usually have leaves, cucumber, tomato, red onion, avocado, beetroot, celery then roast some cubed potatoes with garlic and rosemary until very crispy. Meanwhile toss the shredded chicken in a pan with some sweet chilli sauce till bubbling. Add all to the salad and dress with homemade dressing

Chicken fried rice

Or sometimes just really nice chicken sandwiches, fresh bread, real butter, lots of salt and pepper and def some left over stuffing - heaven!

AmethystRaven Sat 04-Nov-17 14:31:33

My last creation - fried some garlic, added passata and herbs and bubbled it down a bit, put the chicken in to heat through then put in an ovenproof dish with mozzarella ripped over the top, baked it, and we had it with warm crusty bread. So simple and it got the thumbs up from the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now